Discuss tiling to a "freestanding" shower bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark B

Hello,

I have been asked to install a "freestanding" shower bath. It's got a straight end and side that butts against 2 walls.

For a normal bath I'd install it first and then tile up from the bath. But how should I deal with this one?

There doesn't seem to be any way of securing it to the wall and due to it's open design I'll need to tile behind and under it.

Should I fully tile the wall and then double silicone (a good amount of clear down the side and then finish with a nice neat white bead) or should I leave a gap in the tiles to enable the bath to be placed directly up against the wall substrate and then carry on tiling up from the bath?

Thanks

Mark

M

Mark B

Basshunter,

Here's the olny picture I can find from the catalogue. The tap end and one side are straight to allow it yo be fitted flush to the wall.

uug197h,

As 2 of the sides are straight surely it's supposed to be fitted against the wall?

Mark

Attachments

• Norfolk bath.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 49
L

ljmountain

Whitebeam - well pointed out regarding the date but I guess you will give me some credit for searching through the forum and not just posting a similar question :8:
Bri - Thanks for pointing out the photo's, this is the exact suite I am fitting. He did a good job with the tiling. I have some concern about tiling the walls first as I worry about the bath moving (instructions say to screw legs to floor) but I think there will still be some movement on the rim... I will raise new post about sealing to pre-tiled wall.

M

Mark B

Hello,

As pointed out by Bri, I haven't been on the forum for some time and the photo in my album is of the bath in question.

http://www.tilersforums.com/members/mark-b/albums/bathroom-1/9882-after-3.jpg

I fitted it as initially discussed - fully tiled the wall and floor first then "stuck" the bath to the wall with plenty of clear silicone and then having let that cure, sealed over the top with white silicone.

There weren't any fixings to either the bath or the feet so the only thing holding it secure is the silicone. It's been in place for 3 years now with no problems. It was a job for my sister-in-law so I've seen it and used it recently and it's still rock solid. I guess that if you wanted to be slightly nore secure you could put a small amount of silicone inder each of the feet it you can't screw it down.

I hope this helps

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling to a "freestanding" shower bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
tiling to a "freestanding" shower bath
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.