UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling under washing machine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi mercedism

Certain adhesives are formulated with impacts like washing machine movements and vibrations taken into consideration. it's worth speaking to the assistants at your local tile shop as they will be able to recommend an adhesive that will take the frequent movement from your washing machine.

Or were you thinking more about the level of noise the washing machine would make on a tiled floor?

GRR

D

Deleted member 9966

Flexible adhesives and grouts are the way to go, so have a chat with the tile shop assistants and see what they recommend. You'll need to make sure that the ply wood you tile on to is more than 6mm thick, preferably around 10-12mm.

And make sure you screw the ply wood down to the joists every 30cm or less if you can. If the floor is solid after you've done this i.e. no bounce when you jump up and down on it, then the flex adhesives and grouts will do the job and your washing machine won't be able to shake the tiles off :thumbsup:

S

Stan001

I dont understand - in posts #1 and #4 you refer to putting something OVER the tiles and under the washing machine! ... not UNDER the tiles as per answers on this thread!?

If i understand your original question (and it may be me being confused) then you should not put a board under your washing machine! (someone probably did that to stop the machine scratching their floor). Your machine need to have its legs jacked firmly (each leg adjusts with a shallow spanner they give you) and level to the floor so that big block of concrete behind your washing machine drum can act as a counterbalance! so as firm a surface to stand on as possible is good. Your machine then will not vibrate down onto the tiles and crack them / the adhesive / the grout.
... or is it me just being confused here? :dizzy2:

M

mercedism

Your not confused, initially i had been looking for a second hand washing machine. I saw a picture of one i liked in somebodys kitchen and they had it sitting on a square piece of wood of some sort. The house looked very modern and so was the machine, so i was just confirming if this was the norm. as their kitchen had been tiled.

Then people were telling me that i need 25mm ply down, this is something completely different. The floor will be solid (whatever i use). Probably strengthen under as this is not done yet.

I have now got a machine and although i have only given it a quick trial period but it seems washing machines have come a long way since my original. (which would have shattered your kneecaps with the vibes.) This one seems a lot quieter. I have also taken the time to make sure its level, which i couldn't with my old one as the feet and wheels had broke.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling under washing machine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.