Discuss Tiling with travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

WillCalderwood

Hi All

I'm entering new territory here. I've never tiled on anhydrite, I've never used a decoupling membrane, and I've never tiled with natural stone. Anyone got any tips for a beginner?

Firstly, with regards to sealing the tiles, at what point do I seal, and what products would people recommend? I've read various people recommending sealing at various stages of the tiling process.

We're planning on tiling onto the anhydrite with epoxy primer and a decoupling membrane (as recommended by Ajax). Do we need to rough up the epoxy surface to provide a key for the adhesive? What adhesives would people recommend for fixing the decoupling membrane to the screed? And then fixing the travertine to the membrane? Or should I use the same for both?

I had a chat with the Bal technical guys - they recommended an acrylic primer, as that's what they sell, and then I should use Bal Stone & Tile PTB with Admix AD1. The advantage of going with what Bal say is that they'll guarantee it - although what that guarantee covers I'm not totally sure.

Also, cutting travertine, I'm guessing I'm best off using the grinder with a tile cutting disc?

Cheers

D

DHTiling

Hi All

I'm entering new territory here. I've never tiled on anhydrite, I've never used a decoupling membrane, and I've never tiled with natural stone. Anyone got any tips for a beginner?

Firstly, with regards to sealing the tiles, at what point do I seal, and what products would people recommend? I've read various people recommending sealing at various stages of the tiling process.

We're planning on tiling onto the anhydrite with epoxy primer and a decoupling membrane (as recommended by Ajax). Do we need to rough up the epoxy surface to provide a key for the adhesive? What adhesives would people recommend for fixing the decoupling membrane to the screed? And then fixing the travertine to the membrane? Or should I use the same for both?

I had a chat with the Bal technical guys - they recommended an acrylic primer, as that's what they sell, and then I should use Bal Stone & Tile PTB with Admix AD1. The advantage of going with what Bal say is that they'll guarantee it - although what that guarantee covers I'm not totally sure.

Also, cutting travertine, I'm guessing I'm best off using the grinder with a tile cutting disc?

Cheers

Honestly... leave it to a pro.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling with travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Heeelp!!! I've seen some old posts about this but nothing recently. I have 120sqm travertine...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB