Discuss Tiling Without Grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

hi there
last year my mother and my neighbour went shopping and brought back tiles . both got the same tiles. they are about 12 " by 16" with a stone effect on them. . I fitted my mothers last year with a small grout line (1 mm I think could be more)
fast forward and my neighbour wants hers done next week.
problem is that she doesn't like the grout. she says its too noticeable. personally I don't think it is . you wouldn't notice. she wants me to fit them with no spacing between them,
I am trying to tell her it wont work but I think it might be easier to tell the grout line to disappear.

obviously its not a good idea but how bad would it come out .
im thinking that if the tiles are not 100% square then I will end up with dirty gaps

how do I get around this

alan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Alan,

Not sure the British Standards has been updated to accommodate tiles that have no grout lines like some stone or porcelain, or if it ever will be (but I know some tiles are designed not to have grout lines in them these days - can somebody confirm?). But currently it states 2mm for walls minimum. 3mm for floors.

Not sure how one gets around this to be honest.

I do keep reading about tiles needing no grout lines.

AMC

TF
Dublin
hi there
last year my mother and my neighbour went shopping and brought back tiles . both got the same tiles. they are about 12 " by 16" with a stone effect on them. . I fitted my mothers last year with a small grout line (1 mm I think could be more)
fast forward and my neighbour wants hers done next week.
problem is that she doesn't like the grout. she says its too noticeable. personally I don't think it is . you wouldn't notice. she wants me to fit them with no spacing between them,
I am trying to tell her it wont work but I think it might be easier to tell the grout line to disappear.

obviously its not a good idea but how bad would it come out .
im thinking that if the tiles are not 100% square then I will end up with dirty gaps

how do I get around this

alan
Hi , the porcelanosa rep here in Ireland was tellin me that all porcelanosa tilers are doin all the large formats without grout joints , butting them together , I'm headin over to there to Spain in September to the butech factory to see how it's done ( nice freebie from the rep)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi , the porcelanosa rep here in Ireland was tellin me that all porcelanosa tilers are doin all the large formats without grout joints , butting them together , I'm headin over to there to Spain in September to the butech factory to see how it's done ( nice freebie from the rep)
Get in!

See if you're allowed to take snaps.

radim

TF
Arms

houses in europe are made of solid concrete and brick therefore no movement and butted tiles are not a problem.
houses in Uk are wooden boxes with moving walls and suspended floors etc.with movement everywhere.

AMC

TF
Dublin
houses in europe are made of solid concrete and brick therefore no movement and butted tiles are not a problem.
houses in Uk are wooden boxes with moving walls and suspended floors etc.with movement everywhere.
Yeah , that's what I was sayin to the rep , you couldn't butt joint a 1000 x 315 tile in a bathroom , I think they'd either pop or crack

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
did a bathroom some years ago with white marble the customer wanted no grout so put a very thin layer of silicone along the edge of the marble and squeezed the tile flat till the silicone sqeezed out client pleased with the results and have had no problems hes a personal friend but don't think will do it again
That sounds like a right maul. I hope he bought the beers for a while for that.

I'm pretty good with a silicone gun (used to install UPVC windows) but even I'd end up stuck to the tiles after a hour or so.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well the bs is so out dated it belongs in a museum. most cut and pasted from out dated info 15mm ply need i say more .it needs to be completely brought up to date and this time with a major input from the people who fix tiles not those with a vested intrested in selling prouducts to you .that you dont need .

now as for grout joints in the uk with our build its a must just like surspion on a car these allow for movement now what size they need to be depends on many factors .but 2mm on a wall will allow a fair bit of movement.and is a very tight joint .but how many manage to get a 2mm grout joint is as rear as an MP telling the truth .so why do 2mm grout joints all ways end up looking like 4mm joints
well its easy realy you use 2mm spacer pegs on tiles that have a 1.mm to 1.5mm slope to the back of the tile you then grout and end up with a 4mm to 5mm joint with a 2mm peg now next time measure
the face of the tile and the back of the tile you may just be very surprized the thicker the tile the more slope .if you want a real 2mm joint use wedges only so you can allow for slope i will never use spacer pegs .best place for them is the skip .

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

now this would move me on to my next point so BS gives 2mm grout joint is this from the back or front of tile who nows .and so it goes on joke after joke
so whats the biggest joke
every trade who have to work by them 95% have never read them
so all these trades have to pay to know what they have to do. realy you could not make it up
well they pay a huge amount of tax every year .for what ? dont forget to pay for updates
well my guess would be so lawyers who do not have a clue about building backed up by BS who do not have a clue can sue at a drop of a hat any trade they want backed up by no nots

so whats the answer for us

1 all BS standards should be free to trades who pay tax on there trade

2 all updates should be free to trade

3 updates should have a 3 mouth challenge period by the trades before approved

4 all BS should have 70% working trade advice or not approved

so many on this gravy train and we have to pay realy why?

our trade bodys need bringing to account

but they are on there own gravy train and dont give a fck about us

D

Dougs Third Go

I think in the "real world" BS can stand for more than British Standards, We've all exceeded the the boundaries they've applied, maybe gone home with a guilty conscience for doing so and never heard a peep about anything untoward about the job for 20-30 years plus. But tiling without joints just seems wrong to me, capillary action and all that just makes me think that those joints need filling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Without Grout in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB