Discuss Tilling Brick Pattern Window Verticals in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I am tiling travertine in a brick pattern. I will be wrapping this around the walls as best as I can. I have done a window ledge and followed the pattern, but am wondering whether or not to follow this for the window verticals.

I have two windows in my bathroom. Three of the inside verticals will contain whole tiles, or rather I should say will contain "full" cut tiles if you get my drift. Whereas one of the verticals, due to the pattern will mean that a cut should be required.

Hmm I'm probably not explaining it very clearer. The width of the inside verticals, at a guess, (not at home currently), are probably around 140mm. Due to the brick pattern, three of the verticals will contain full rows of "cut" tiles. As in rows of tiles cut to 140mm.

The one vertical, if I were to follow the brick pattern and wrap it around form the wall, would mean that I'd have alternate rows of 140mm and 40mm/100mm. If that makes sense!

The question is should I follow the pattern and have this one vertical with 40mm strip and 100mm strip or would it look better (or is practise) to just have full rows of 140mm?

Thanks,

Daz

I am tiling travertine in a brick pattern. I will be wrapping this around the walls as best as I can. I have done a window ledge and followed the pattern, but am wondering whether or not to follow this for the window verticals.

I have two windows in my bathroom. Three of the inside verticals will contain whole tiles, or rather I should say will contain "full" cut tiles if you get my drift. Whereas one of the verticals, due to the pattern will mean that a cut should be required.

Hmm I'm probably not explaining it very clearer. The width of the inside verticals, at a guess, (not at home currently), are probably around 140mm. Due to the brick pattern, three of the verticals will contain full rows of "cut" tiles. As in rows of tiles cut to 140mm.

The one vertical, if I were to follow the brick pattern and wrap it around form the wall, would mean that I'd have alternate rows of 140mm and 40mm/100mm. If that makes sense!

The question is should I follow the pattern and have this one vertical with 40mm strip and 100mm strip or would it look better (or is practise) to just have full rows of 140mm?

Thanks,

Daz

Hi Daz. As you've followed the pattern on the ledge I would recommend you follow the pattern on the vertical recesses too, even if it is only 40mm. Otherwise remove the legde tiles and make the whole of the recess whole tiles :thumbsup:

D

DazJWood

Ah, maybe I've misdescribed what I've done now thinking about it. The window ledge is single tiles width ways, or rather that's how I have done it. So I have followed the vertical cut from the wall and wrapped that around. In theory I should have wrapped the width around too but I didn't because it would have left a fairly small cut at the back.

I think I've answered my question myself then. Though I could still wrap the one vertical inside wall without it not looking to odd I guess.

Thanks for all your answers.

you could cut all at 140mm, then raising the blade on your wet cutter, put dummy cuts in to give the appearance of grout lines so you can still have the wrapped round effect.

That's a great idea! Though my tile cutter has a fixed cutter but I could easily rig up something rough (plywood or something) to raise the tray either side of the wheel.

Thanks all,

Daz

Reply to Tilling Brick Pattern Window Verticals in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
When tiling a window reveal in a kitchen with brick bond tiles I am struggling to set out the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tilling Brick Pattern Window Verticals
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.