Discuss tilling over hardwall in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bubblecraft

When you treat a surface with PVA it partly soaks in and parlty sits on the surface of the substrate much in the same way as wallpaper paste.

If PVA gets wet it becomes slightly live again, it doesn't completely return to it's liquid state but it becomes sticky.

When you spread tile adhesive onto the wall or floor, the water in the adhesive makes the PVA live and stops the adhesive from penetrating the substrate and providing a mechanical grip. Basically your tiles, grout and adhesive are being held to the wall or floor by a thin layer of PVA.

Most tile adhesive works by crystalising when it sets (some are slightly different such as epoxy based ones) but generally they all work the same way. Once the adhesive starts to set, crystals from and expand into any imperfections in the substrate surface (at a microscopic level) to create a grip. PVA stops this process by creating a barrier between the substrate and the tile adhesive.

Dedicated primers soak right in to the substrate and stop the sponge like "draw "effect but they don't coat the surface in any way, they are an impregnator as opposed to a barrier.

Hope that clears things up

B

Bubblecraft

Can't speak for Everbuilds own brand. I'd only use Bal SBR. May want to ask around. If you have only got 10mm, I'd use a bonding to bring it out & use a finishing plaster. Other option would be to use 10mm hardi-backer & bed onto tile adhesive (cement based). Guidelines below:

8. 1. Installation on brick walls
8.1.1 Preparing the substrate
Ensure wall is sound, clean and ready to receive HardieBacker®
250 cement board. At minimum, the rear of HardieBacker® 250
cement board and the masonry wall must be wiped down to
remove all dust.
8.1.2. Fixing sheets with tile adhesive, step 1
Bond HardieBacker® 250 cement board to the masonry walling
using tile adhesive. Apply tile adhesive to masonry walls using a
6mm notched trowel. The tile adhesive must fully support HardieBacker
® 250 cement board and the HardieBacker® 250 cement
board is firmly pressed into the tile adhesive.
8.1.3 Fixing sheets with masonry anchors, step 2
Use 9 pcs (3 rows of 3) ø 6mm x 50 mm masonry anchors with
self embedding head. The masonry anchors are immediately
fixed through the board into the masonry walls holding the
sheeting in place. Do not overdrive head of anchor, it must be
flush with face of HardieBacker® 250 cement board.

Note: Do not dot and dab tile adhesive!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tilling over hardwall in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I everyone. I have just had a wall re-plastered in my bathroom, using lime plaster. The...
Replies
Views
broughy
B
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in a process of prepping before retiling my bathroom. I've stripped the old tiles with...
Replies
Views
Hello gents! Long time lurker, first time poster.... I’m just fitting out our en-suite bathroom...
Replies
Views
Allan D
A

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB