Discuss Time for a tile cutter guide? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

We seem to have an awful lot of posts about what's the best cutter, how about a 'go to' thread on this subject ?

It's too subjective an issue to produce a guide.
Reviews and personal recommendations are the only way.
Of course, having a go at trade events is the best way to have a test-ride.

My advice is this:
1) for newbies / diy and people used to Rubi cutters - if the tiles are less than 600mm - get Rubi.
2) for anything over 600mm I would only EVER consider Sigma.
3) after using a Sigma for anything over 600mm, sell your Rubi cutters and buy more Sigma cutters.
4) Enjoy!

Somerset
Tile cutters are always going to be highly topical - they are the central part of most Tilers kit. A guide to tile cutters would date very quickly - most manufacturers update their cutters annually. And anyway, why take the fun out of taunting Sigma owners (they are the best cutter because they can do a 10mm cut... not my idea of a good cutter, usually just a sign the tiler bodged their measuring).

We need regular threads pitting Sigma against Rubi, adds a bit of spice to the Forum, and gives Professional Tilers the chance to big up their favourite piece of kit. ;)

O

Old Mod

Tile cutters are always going to be highly topical - they are the central part of most Tilers kit. A guide to tile cutters would date very quickly - most manufacturers update their cutters annually. And anyway, why take the fun out of taunting Sigma owners (they are the best cutter because they can do a 10mm cut... not my idea of a good cutter, usually just a sign the tiler bodged their measuring).

We need regular threads pitting Sigma against Rubi, adds a bit of spice to the Forum, and gives Professional Tilers the chance to big up their favourite piece of kit. ;)

You don't post half as much as you should Andy, never a dull one have I seen! :)

s4456.gif

L

LM

If a Rubi could handle as many different tiles as well as a Sigma then this debate wouldn't exist. Nothing to do with setting out, it's simply that the Sigma design is better at the task and delivers easier and better results. Although I do acknowledge that a Rubi is a good tool for formats smaller than 400mm etc. Anyone who has honestly tried and tested the two machines against each other in various sizes would agree with me imo. I say this because I've genuinely tried both makes against each other in most sizes of machines and my conclusion was that there is no comparison, Sigma is simply better designed.
Start a poll of how many tilers have genuinely used both and ask them if they could win a cutter of their choice by participating which machine they'd like to take home.

Somerset
I do now use both Sigma and Rubi :eek:. I have to say that I agree that large format tiles break more cleanly with a Sigma. But I have been using my Rubi TS30 all week metro tiling a kitchen. I still think this is an outstanding cutter for that kind of work - and if you want to impress the natives, you can use a TS to make curved cuts. But my workhorse cutter is an 8 year old Rubi TX700. But the Rubi's now share lockup space with a Sigma Max 1200 cutter its a 3EPQRSTME3 or whatever the model name is... :D

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to Time for a tile cutter guide? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB