Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Time to bring out Big Dave! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

There is a tiling contractor in London who are notoriously poor payers they have an established name but are run by messers who like mucking their fixers about ,story has it that one subbie walked into their office after weeks/months of being told that they hadnt recieved his invoice and it was the royal mail at fault , he walked into their head quaters and nailed his invoice with a hammer and nail to the managing directors desk ,they called the police but he left with full payment of his invoice and it goes to show that a lot of companies will use brinksmanship and leave it until they really have no other choice other than to pay their bills

P

Pebbs

Guys your right 2 wrongs dont make a right. Sometimes you have to stand up to these people though. I know the way they think...silly cow can wait, sweet talk her she'll manage for another week. Basically 90% of my clients are scumbags, the majority of main contractors are lets face it. All they think about is knocking your account, holding back retentions, getting their bonus, hoping you will throw them a back hander, or giving them some kind of sexual favor in return for a contract. (and before anyone asks no I never have).

Life is bloody hard, all I want is my money for the work we have done so far, I think thats fair. If they want to play silly buggers, I wont have no men on that site after 11.00am tomorrow I can promise you that much.

Lynn

U

user123

Guys your right 2 wrongs dont make a right. Sometimes you have to stand up to these people though. I know the way they think...silly cow can wait, sweet talk her she'll manage for another week. Basically 90% of my clients are scumbags, the majority of main contractors are lets face it. All they think about is knocking your account, holding back retentions, getting their bonus, hoping you will throw them a back hander, or giving them some kind of sexual favor in return for a contract. (and before anyone asks no I never have).

Life is bloody hard, all I want is my money for the work we have done so far, I think thats fair. If they want to play silly buggers, I wont have no men on that site after 11.00am tomorrow I can promise you that much.

Lynn

Well, good luck, Lynn .... don't make any enemies....

it's funny how the goalposts always change, come final payment day

Thats when the games reach their pinacle:mad2:

When they think you're desperate and you'll agree to anything:mad2:

I've seen Balfour Beatty pull out photos of empty tile boxes, at a Bannantyne Leisure Club Final Account meeting, and say they were going to charge me for tidying up my mess:incazzato: I promptly pointed out my tilers foot and a section of his cutting machine in the corner of the photo and suggested that he was still bl**dy working there and they should get a better photographer:incazzato: That one ended quite amicably and light hearted - I think they were most embarrassed:lol:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Lynn

Lynn have only done this a few times, good luck for tomorrow:thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

The sad fact is ( and has been for many years) that main contractors tender for these jobs at cost and sometimes even at a loss. They make their money from extras. I've had that from the chief QS's on several occasions. If they can't do it from extras they screw the subbies. I got that from the junior QS's.

This is one of the reasons I got out of the construction industry years ago. On hindsight I wasn't as ruthless as the financial directors. If I went there again I reckon I would have to resort to much more unscrupulous practices.

M

mikethetile

I dont need a big Dave, I get paid what im owed if they know whats good for them

years ago when I was running 12 chippies on a mowlem job, the job was behind schedule and they were into penalties, not our fault we can only fix what was ready to fix and as it happened we were at 120% on the schedule and would have been further ahead if the brickies werent so far behind

I was in a fix , I was owed over 70k and the bank wouldnt pay the wage bill again if I didnt get some money in

I had a simple choice , pay the lads or deal with the consequences. the least of which was they would walk leaving me unable to finish the job and so geting hit by mowlems

or get payment, any payment would have calmed my bank manager down

I tried talking reasonably and failed to get anywhere, they were going to share the pain between the subbies regardless of who was at fault

I lost my rag went out to the van for a paslode and went back into the office

first nail throgh the door into the frame

second nail through his tie, his paperwork and his desk

with him now captive on the desk and in a state of shock I put the gun against his head

by this time he was hysterical and promised to raise payment

I released him as I had calmed down and the reality of what I had just done was sinking in

he got on the phone and got the full amount transfered into my bank account while I sat there, took about 15 minutes

I was just wondering how to get the door open when it came flying open and the law stood outside, I was areested and charged

I had to reprt to the police station every week untill it went to court

mowlems refused me back on site and my foreman had to run the job

In court the magistrate accepted that I had been provoked by their actions and didnt refer it to crown court as he believed a jury would lbe more likely clear me than find me guilty

so I was bound over to keep the peace for two years

the moral of the story is , yes you get paid. but you also get blacklisted and no other main contractor will risk employing you

fortunatly another chippie I know had just picked up a large contract so could take all the lads on when mowlems job finished, but he couldnt take me as I was blacked

that was my last day on site

so be warned , the right way is the legal way

Reply to Time to bring out Big Dave! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
T
Back in 1974 three of us tiled Oldham swimming pools the team was Tommy Milne his brother Ron...
Replies
Views
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
T
Not a question, but a suprising observation of an illusion! My next task has been to come up...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Time to bring out Big Dave!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks