UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tling over Duct Work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Neil1

Hi All,

New to the forum and first post.

Wondered if anyone could help me?

We have just knocked through from the Diner to create larger Kitchen/Diner and want to tile all the way through from existing wooden floor levels throught the kitchen/diner and out in to the utilty room.

Problem we have is we have Galvanized ducting recessed into the floor that carries Heating, cold and hot water and gas pipes, this is all covered with 12mm ply top strip that flex's a little and im worried might cause problems in the future with movement.

Have thought about relaying all the pipework in plastic speedfit and then filling with concrete but the more i read the more i think this might not be such a good idea.

On top of all this i would ideally like to lay underfloor heating (electric type)

Cauurent screed and top of Ply is 28mm below the existing oak floor in other areas and estimated tile thickness is about 10mm

Would appreciate any thoughts and advice on how best to tackle this.

Will try to post some pics to make it a little clearer.

Best regards

Neil

N

Neil1

Hi Whitebeam,

No hadnt intended to use pushfit on the Gas, only just discovered the Gas aspect today, hence yet another reason to probabily leave as is and work out another way around it.

Having done more reading of threads here and elswhere wondered if i might be better to make the screed good where needed, put a latex self level compound over it and then use somthing like PCI: http://www.pci.uk.com/en/products/I...CIPECILASTIC/Documents/PCI Pecilastic TDS.pdf over that as a base or possibly do the UFLR Heating then go PCI Adhesive Tiles.

What would you recomend?

N

Neil1

IMG_5838.jpg IMG_5837.jpg

N

Neil1

Its a 4 bedroom house and yes i own it, its not rented. Totally agree with you i dont like the idea of tiling over it either and rendering it inaccsessable but i dont have a lot of option really this is the way all the pipework has been run over the ground floor. I had to make a similar decission withthe rest of the ground floor when we put down an engineerd oak floor. This was one of my reasons also for originally wanting to bed all the pipework in concrete, so then if there were any problem leaks it would stay local to the leak and not travel around the duct system. If it were ever to leak it would be a complete nightmare, but as there is not the room or ability to sleeve everything and the concrete would react withthe copper i dont have much option.

There is no void under the house, its built on a concrete slab so very little i can do really. Slowly putting in some underfloor electric heating throughout but still need H&C to the Kitchen sink and dowstairs toilet.

I was going to take pictures and record where all the ducting is so i have it on file and should the need arise i know exactly where it is. Was also going to try to keep the ducting under one line of tiles and in the middle if possible to also help.

With 28mm clearance from existing slab to top of installed wood floor and roughly 10mm tile and 1mm UFLR Heating matt what would you recomend?

N

Neil1

Now thinking probabily not Whitebeam, because if i do and god forbid i ever need to break into the floor to repair the UFH would be in the way and then it all gets very messy and expensive so thinking that for this area might just be best to keep what i have (2 x rads) and tile over.

If i do that would i better off trying to get a flexible screed and some PCI over it all? or is there a better way to do it?

N

Neil1

Whitebeam, just wanted t osay thanks for all the advice, big help.

Have spoken wit Uheat, bought 6mm Marmox board which im going to stick down over the whole area, UFLR heat matt over exposed areas but missing all the ducting in case the need for future access. Levelflex over the whole lot by 3mm and then tile to that.

If im putting large format tiles down 60x60 would you recomend using a 10mm round trowl? and what will that compress down to bed height wise?

Just trying to get my final heights correct so the floor levels run straight through.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tling over Duct Work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tling over Duct Work
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.