UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss To back-skim or not to back-skim? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brad

Hi all....

Firstly, thank you to all involved for answering my many questions. This is a very good forum to be on. Keep up the good work, Dave and the team. I would not hesitate in recommending this forum for both new and experienced tilers.

I am still looking for a definitive answer to the following question:

Taking into account the strength of an adhesive to adhesive bond and considering the non-porous nature of PORCELAIN tiles, is it good practice to ALWAYS back-skim PORCELAIN tiles, regardless of their size? Or is this overkill?

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd think that the larger the size the greater the need to ensure 100% coverage of adhesive. However your adhesive choice is also an important factor as some adhesives are aimed for large format tiles and it flows to a level to allow the maximum support required. And then again with mosaics the right sized notched trowel will provide the correct preparation without back buttering.

T

Time's Ran Out

Thanks John. Maybe if I phrase my question this way.....

Considering the non-porous nature of porcelain, would it be good practice to trowel the wall and do nothing to the back of the tile (Given that the wall is straight and level, of course)?

NO.
The wall may be flat and level:lol: but the back of the tile may not. You must fill all the voids before the coming together.

P

Perry

On a wall I would back butter, on floors we normally use a pourable thick bed ( ptb ) the nature of this adhesive means that there is no need to back butter / skim, always good practice to lift a tile or 3 along the way, just to check, you would be surprised.
Alan not sure I have ever seen you not lift a tile up I sure last time you done a floor you lifted every tile up on what was it 400 mtrs lol

B

bugs183

in theory you'd back butter all tiles, ceramics can absorb any moisture quickly and therefore could debond, and porcelain doesn't absorb anything and could debond too because you are totally relying on the polymers in the adhesive to stick to the tile, bit of a weird one when you think look at it.
I tend to back butter all porcelain, big, small, walls and floors, just to be on the safe side. As for ceramics, i don't back butter walls as a rule, but it is a good idea to back butter floors and wet areas, as there is a mechanical key to the tile when buttering, and it means you have fresh adhesive touching adhesive when the tile is fixed to the floor.
It doesn't take to long to do, and a belt and braces approach is better than going back to sort problems

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to To back-skim or not to back-skim? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Some info you pro tilers might find useful... TTA urges extra care on tiling with mesh-backed...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
M
Hi all, I've had to come to the arms now to get a definitive solution to a problem I'm having...
Replies
Views
MW Smith Ceramics
M
R
This is a follow on to my previous thread that didn't get a definitive answer Thread located...
Replies
Views
reeves1985
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.