Guest viewing is limited

Discuss To board or not to board - that is the question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TimM

chaps,
Thanks for your time and thoughts, really interesting and giving me lots to think about- I never realised tiling could be so geeky! Which for me is a good thing. However not quite sure if I can see a difference between hardi and No More Ply
As further information:
No underfloor heating is required.
T&G floorboards are solid - well one squeaks a bit, I will be Going over them and screwing down anything a bit loose anyway. I think I am correct in saying that deflection is the amount the floor boards move and by over boarding you are looking to reduce this to the lowest level poss. In which case it is already minimal.

As the t&g have been down for about 20/25 years there is little moisture left in them, but there is about a 2ft void under them.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

boldydave

To captain slow

If height really is an issue, then take up the floorboards, add extra noggins to the joists and then fix 18mm wbp ply. Remember to prime the underside and edges before fixing. Screw the boards down and max 300mm centres and you should achieve a good deflection free floor. Depending on what tiles you are installing, you can fix directly to the ply. That'll save you 6mm :thumbsup:.

i`m not a pro tiler and was interested in why you seal the underside of the board?thanks, dave.

Reply to To board or not to board - that is the question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
To board or not to board - that is the question.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.