Discuss To Ditra or not to Ditra... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

HimediA

TF
Hi All

I placed a 'tiler wanted' ad recently and have had 4 people out to look at the job, so thanks for the great response everyone!

All 4 guys seem to know what they're talking about. The issue I have that 2 suggest that Ditra matting should be laid underneath my tiles, 2 say that in my case it's not necessary.

I am less concerned about the extra cost than I am about the extra depth it will add to the finished floor. I won't go into details as to why this will be an issue but trust me, that extra 3 or 4 mm will make all the difference, and I'm really (really really:smilewinkgrin:) keen to avoid it.

My subfloor is an old building (so all well settled). timber joists (that I have doubled up joists in couple of areas where approx 1.8m between brick supporting piers) over which I've screwed down 8x2 ft 22mm T&G green floor chipboard (old floorboards removed first). After decs are all complete I'll be laying 8x4 ft sheets of 12mm WBP ply at right angles to floorboarding screwed down at 100-150mm centres and well unibonding over to seal. The floor already has absolutely minimal 'bounce' and that will only be improved with the ply.

The room is a kitchen approx 7.5m x 5.5m. The tiles are 600 x 400 x 15mm Moleanos Limestone that will be laid brickbond down the length of the room. Plan to allow to lay then 1 coat sealer, then grout (say 4mm) then 3 or 4 further coats of LTP Mattstone sealer. Adhesive I've purchased is Larsen Flexible standard set white. Grout Larsen Flexible narrow joint limestone colour.

I have had stone floor laid over various timber subfloors before and never had any issues with cracking. Generally they have been Travertine though and not limestone.

So, question is, to Ditra or not to Ditra?

And yes, I appreciate the 'better safe than sorry' argument but as I say, that extra depth gives me real headaches.

Thoughts/recommendations/warnings/assurances appreciated...

Cheers
Paul

HimediA

TF
What's the width and length of the room?
Edit: found it ignore that.

I'd have said the floor is big enough to warrant using a decoupling membrane (Dural not Schluter mind) to be fair.

Though without looking at it and testing for deflection nobody could guarantee either way.

Thanks Dan. What would a typical deflection test comprise?

And is the use of a membrane due to length of room and lateral movement (expansion/contraction I guess?), or is the robustness of the sub-floor and vertical deflection the issue?

If the latter, I confess I don't see how a flexible membrane will really help (although that's my engineer's training and not stone flooring expertise so I stand to be corrected!)

If the former ie. horizontal movement as opposed to vertical, is that really likely to be a risk given no underfloor heating?

And all you experts please understand I'm not doubting your expertise, it's just my darned questioning engineer's mind....

HimediA

TF
Just out of curiosity....... what did your 4 tilers say about the 12mm ply?
Two said would have preferred to see 15mmm but 12mm should be OK
All said should be fixed down at max 150 centres.
Three said make sure it's sealed (one with tile primer one said SBR fine, one advised PVA fine)
None came up with Stewarts suggestion of thinner backer board & Ditra.
It's a minefield out here gents...:mad2:

Reply to To Ditra or not to Ditra... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
To Ditra or not to Ditra...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.