Discuss To Ditra or not to Ditra... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

HimediA

TF
if its not a money issue
Well money is always an issue, but this sort of mistake can be soooo expensive so it's a case of getting to the point where 'better safe than sorry' meets 'if you have a decent belt then you really don't need those braces'
none of above will help with vertical deflection , but strengthening the floor as much as poss will
Absolutely. Last chap in said he always overboards floorboards with 18mm ply, but my 22mm T&G boarding is so much better than floorboards he was confident 12mm overboarding appropriately fixed would be fine. And he walked the floor.

P

Pebbs

15mm limestone, 4mm joint? if you put the ditra down, and you already have issues about the substrate height...I have to think about this, its not actually such a big area, so if it does start moving (god forbid) the joints will start to show the movement first.

Its like this if it was a commercial contract, I'd advise the complete area to be de-coupled, and stand my ground. If you are 100% certain that substrate of yours is going to be as solid as it can be, you might get away with it...

Now im going back on myself because of the format size, 600x400 is right on the point of the dim stability for molianos, if it was me, my home, id ditra it, if I could squeeze it in.

Ditra and be done!

Pebbs

D

DHTiling

Your area for tiling is actually bigger than is recommend in BS5385 for tiling without an expansion joint onto that timber floor but a membrane used and i would do it without a joint.

The problem you have here is a timber substrate and then another timber overlay.. This all will expand and contract at a rate that that stone will not cope with, without some sort of protection..

Now you could use a CFT2 - S2 Adhesive and install stress tapes over the plywood joints..( Slip joints) this would comprise of using Dural Dura-flex sealing strip, this should allow the small amount of stress without cracking the tiles... but this is only a possible measure and not a fail safe like using Dural Ci.. which will cope with the lateral stress associated with timber floors.

Now if you want to have this floor last many many years then you must listen to the members.. A membrane is the way to go and if height is an issue and you want this stone floor then swap the ply for Hardibacker if the floor is solid to start with..

No matter which way you look at it, there will be stress and you only want to do this floor once.. so do it right first time... if you use the S2 adhesive and the Dural Ci then that ply thickness isn't an issue..but deffo no thinner due to moisture..as really BS 5385 recommended is 15mm

HimediA

TF
i noticed before that you said there are supporting piers under the floor. is the floor a 5mtre span, or has it got supporting piers under the joists every 1.5mtres. i think that may be a different story if it does. it'd mean practically no vertical movement, and maybe the 2 tilers who said you don't need decoupler are right. probably need thicker ply though.

Floor is approx 5.5m wide and yes, it does have brick piers every 1.5m or so. Largest span maybe around 1.8m, but in that small area I doubled up on the 4 x 2's before laying the chipboard floor.

And I think that with the 22mm green 9x2 flooring sheets well screwed down and 12mm ply over I really don't think vertical movement is going to be an issue (there won't be any).

Horizontal movement is my only real concern... and I note what others are saying...

HimediA

TF
OK guys, think I have decided what to do.

a) Swallow the cost of the 12mm ply I have in my barn.
b) Lay a backer board (6 or 10mm)
c) Lay a membrane (Ditra or Dural)

Hopefully get a good night's sleep in the knowledge that my new and very expensive floor is going to stay looking good....

Questions (yes, I know, more)...

1. Hardibacker or NoMorePly? Any real difference between these types of boards?

2. Gut feeling is to go for a thicker board, ie Marmox 10mm? or is that overkill and will my 22mm T&G flooring chipboard + 6mm backerboard + membrane be fine? Would be handy if it was as less height useful.

3. Is backboard usually put down over a layer of adhesive, or screwed down or both?

4. Recommended locations to purchase backerboard and Ditra/Dural?

Thanks all.

Reply to To Ditra or not to Ditra... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
To Ditra or not to Ditra...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.