Discuss To Gripfill or not to gripfill, that is a question! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

BlueFrog

Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle. First off I know this may be, on the face of it, a "stooopid question" but please read on and see that it is a quandry more than a "stoopid" question.

I have been asked by a customer to replace some tiles in a commercial kitchen that have broken and or come out. On inspection, these have been stuck down with some sort of adhesive that could even be silicone. The tiles have lifted or cracked in places and he is looking to get them repaired. It is a working kitchen that cant be shut down for more than a morning so I am going to have to get in, replace, grout and get out by 4pm which shouldnt be a problem using fast drying adhesives but therin lies the issue. If I use proppper tile adhesives they tiles are going to sit proud and produce a "trip hazard" and as most of the floor is already laid with the "sub standard" adhesive I am in a quandry what to do. I cant relay the whole thing so ....

1. Will gripfill spread over the whole back of the tile with a mosaic notch be suitable?
2. Is there a better option?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Darryll

B

BlueFrog

Thanks for your quick replies. In % m2 it equates to about 1.5m2 of about 15. To do it out of hours is not an option as the owner wont stay up late and as an indian restaurant late is unfortunately very late! They are very thin quarry tiles (only about 5mm thick and going down on concrete sub strate. The tiles have been a nightmare to sourse as they are half of what normal quarry tiles are and also not something that the usual suspects carry as stock. HAve found some though which are arriving tomorrow.

The trowel I was going to use is an old one anyway so not too fussed about tossing it out after the job. Would love the job of redoing the whole floor but that is shut down, pull out all appliances etc and not very feasable.

B

BlueFrog

Danmasey, having looked at that as a solution, I was tempted to do it but the trip concern in the kitchen, which isnt very big, and the fact that the floor is incredibly slippery, being an indian with greasy food being cooked, I am loathe to do it.

I appreciate the advice from all of you, I promise I do but I need to get it as close to existing as possible and am concerned that even a 4mm bed will result in a lifted tile and a chef with either a "fried hand" or "split heard" and as I get my curry from them I may also have concerns about my future wellbeing ;)

I suppose I could mix up a small amount of rapid set and try it out and if that fails use gripfill! I do agree though it does seem a shame to do a "bodge" to fix a "bodge"

B

BlueFrog

Thanks for all of your feedback guys. I will try some rapid set and see how proud the tiles turn out. Failing that I will try some other type of bodge to see if I can get the tiles to adhere at the same level. As pointed out by Aligage, the adhesive that is existing on the tiles that have lifted is absolutely minimal. It is clearly a bodge job to get the restaurant ready to run in the least possible time and could do with a complete redo with propper adhesive. If it just a mil that it is prout then we may get away with it but I feel it may be more.

Thanks again to all of you for your feedback! You have been extremely helpful. Will update tomorrow to tell you how it all worked out.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
How is the finished edge on the tile, square, rounded etc. I understand what you're saying about lippage but can't see it being a huge problem in your case. If one comes out one must go in. However, you could feather the edge around the area with grout. Mixing it a bit on the "thick" side will mean it's a little more malluable (you'll have to check that spelling) feather the grouting a little so it's more raised than lipped if that makes sense.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to To Gripfill or not to gripfill, that is a question! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB