Discuss To insulate prior to UFH or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gromit1

Hello. Going to have my kitchen tiled. Floor is concrete in my 1985 built house. The question is whether to put down Marmox boards or the like. I don't want to increase the height much so it'd be 6mm. I have a toilet also on a concrete subase with no insulation boards and have 200watt UFH mat and it heats up surprisingly quickly, perhaps because it's the higher power 200watt spec.

So I know that UFH will be effective on my floor, but what I don't know is whether I'll get any serious energy saving by putting in insulation boards. The tiler reckons it'd take him a day to put down the boards (13 square meters) and I've also got to look at the costs of the boards.

Thanks for reading.

D

DHTiling

If you do not use Insulation boards then the running costs will be astronomical.... you will have to heat the full slab before any heat transference back to the tiles and continue to heat the slab to keep the floor warm , this will seriously increase your running costs.. 10mm is the min i would recommend for insulation boards..

The choice is yours depends how rich you are to run with out them.:):):)

G

Gromit1

Thanks everyone - insualtion it will be. Yes Sir R the toilet is small - 2m x .75m He said a day for just insulation boards which I thought sounded a long time. I think they're put down with tile adhesive and preferably taped? But anyway seemed a long time to me which I was factoring in. Trying to work out the cost including installation versus money saved. Any idea if there are figures available?

G

Gazzer

Thanks everyone - insualtion it will be. Yes Sir R the toilet is small - 2m x .75m He said a day for just insulation boards which I thought sounded a long time. I think they're put down with tile adhesive and preferably taped? But anyway seemed a long time to me which I was factoring in. Trying to work out the cost including installation versus money saved. Any idea if there are figures available?

Not figures in the terms of money but warm up times etc , I was sent this by a manufacturer just before xmas
"Unfortunately thermal values are a minefield because there are differing standards, as here, and different ways of measuring them. However, in real life comparisons with cable underfloor heating the following approximate results were observed:

1. Onto bare concrete slab – took about 3 hours to reach max temp of 24°C.
2. Onto No More Ply 6mm – took about 40 minutes to reach 24°C and 3 hours to reach max temp of 27°C.
3. Onto Beavaboard 6mm – took about 30 minutes to reach 24°C; temperature 29°C at 3 hours and still increasing.

If you are going to use No More Ply under wire underfloor heating, you must remember to prime the surface with Mega® SBR as this helps to reflect the heat back up.

In summary No More Ply reduces warm-up time, increases efficiency and allows a greater maximum temperature. Beavaboard is cement-coated foam board of the same type as recommended by underfloor heating companies, and has the same effect but to a greater extent."

Reply to To insulate prior to UFH or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
To insulate prior to UFH or not?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.