Discuss Today's prospective customer in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

Went to look at a job 7.30am this morning, 3 bathrooms,walls and floors.
Anyway the customer produced a set of photocopied plans containing a plan of where each tile went?(600x600 floors and 600x300 walls) I was taking it all in and listening politely until he was finished.
Bathroom No1 ,I advised that tiling on to a 9mm ply overlay,full tile from the floor,full tile from a corner and tiling on tile(walls) was not advised and the reasons why.
Onto bathroom No2, same thing, I waited til he was finished and pointed out the problem areas....9mm ply overlay,tiling onto emulsion paint,tiling directly onto electric UFH,not tiling up to the ceiling in a shower area with no extractor,....whereupon he jumped in and said ''Ive been doing this for 25 years and never had a problem, I know what I am doing I am an ARCHITECT!!!!
So today has reconfirmed that architects don't know s**t and British Standards don't apply to architects unless something goes belly up.

T

Time's Ran Out

They usually forget about the 2/3mm joints when they work out 4 tiles at 600mm doesn't fit a 2400mm wall.
Just did an exact designer bathroom last year where I had the walls and floor bonded perfectly but he who knows better wouldn't accept a 50mm cut on one 900mm tile in a corner.
They do of course fit tiles every day of the week and if you were able to discuss it with the client you know who'd be right.

P

Pebbs

She will for sure Miss Tiler, I got one on another job (woman architect) the tiles have been sitting there for 4 months. So on Weds we were all set to start, or so we thought, then she walked in and changed her mind on the position of the sinks. So we waited all day for the new setting out. At four o clock, miss architect has deemed that two walls are to be ripped down, so she can have full format tiles, all the way along. She's a spoilt mare, and make no mistake.

Lynn

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
Had two similar cases...one in travertine where I was given and exact plan that showed where every off cut could be used to fill in and there was only about tiles spare for breakages...wouldnt listen to anything other than his plan (engineer)

Second was last week with a small job for a neigbour who drew out a plan of the 8 tile splashback and 3 tile window cill showing exactly which edges to cut (leaving the middle tile in the window cut on three sides!)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Today's prospective customer in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB