Discuss Topps 8mm White Marble in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
Hello Guys,
Thought I'd run this past you,
I've got a customer who in his wisdom decided to visit Topps for his tiles for one of three of his bathrooms.
After explaining to him how bad the Travertine he selected was going to look, and the different grades on sale, he thankfully decided to change the tile.
He returned with an 8mm white marble tile, which could have been back lit for effect and was nearly translucent.
Two days later a bevelled 300x100mm feature wall was added to the mix.
These are the tiles he supplied.
Topps Tiles - http://m.**********.co.uk/tprod47196/serac-honed-tile-305x457.html
And these are the feature tiles
Topps Tiles - http://m.**********.co.uk/tprod45588/misty-fjord-30-bevelled-tile.html
Even though I explained that the feature tile contained brown veins that weren't present in the existing tiles he was happy to procede.
I fixed the majority of the main tiles to Hardie Backerboard with Ultra Rapid set flex white and back butter the tiles, and the floor the same to SLC, and immediately noticed a huge change of colour due to the moisture.
On my return the next day, there still seemed little return to prefixed colour, but due to little airflow, no heating, and screeds being laid on the ground floor resulting in potential high RH, I wasn't too concerned.
However, two days later, there still seems little change.
After requesting for a dehumidifier and or localised extra heating neither have been supplied until today, two days after the first tiles were fixed.
Hopefully after a weekend of drying in a heated environment the tiles will return to the prefixed colour, my only concern is the moisture causing staining.
After having similar issues with Ultra products with limestone, am I worrying unnecessarily or is a Grimex clean down before sealing likely to be needed?
20161006_081003.jpg

The pic shows the colour of the larger tile with a small amount of moisture after a quick wipe with a damp cloth.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Have some stones that can take up to several weeks to release the moisture before returning to there original colour, this can be a waiting game. The grimex will clean grease ,not draw moisture ,you could test a tile though as cleaning the surface pores can open /release surface greases to dry migrating moisture slightly quicker
Did you pre seal prior to laying?

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
Have some stones that can take up to several weeks to release the moisture before returning to there original colour, this can be a waiting game. The grimex will clean grease ,not draw moisture ,you could test a tile though as cleaning the surface pores can open /release surface greases to dry migrating moisture slightly quicker
Did you pre seal prior to laying?
No I didn't Bob, not sure if I agree with the practice of pre sealing either side prior to fixing, seems there are arguements for and against.
I had an issue with limestone discolouring with extended set addy, a clean down with Grimex solved the issue after leaving the tiles for two weeks to return to their normal colour.
20160223_094544.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Topps 8mm White Marble in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My tiled bathroom floor is new but I have moisture seemingly seeping up through the grouting in...
Replies
Views
I have cream coloured limestone tiles installed on outdoor walls around the perimeter of my...
Replies
Views
C
hi all I’m new here but I’m at loss now it’s been nearly a year since we had some white...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB