Discuss Tornados in the USA :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Hi everyone, thanks for the good thoughts. We are OK here, although the map in that article that Gisela linked to from the Washington Post pretty much surrounded where I live :yikes: .

I heard on the news that one of the tornados in Alabama was maybe a mile wide. Most of the worst of it was in Alabama, which is well to the south of Virginia.

Dan mentioned that tornados don't occur in the UK. My family is from the Midwest of the US, and there tornados are a fact of life.

The house of one of my uncles was destroyed in a huge tornado in Kansas in the mid 70's. I was about 10 then, and Dad and Grandpa and I went to help clean things. I still remember how amazed I was at what tornados can do. That tornado took the entiire house away except for the rock fireplace, and a closet. My aunt's clothes were stil in the closet, and some of her figurines standing on the shelves built into the floor-to-ceiling rock fireplace were unbroken. The tornado left the cows in the pasture near the house, but picked up a Chevy pickup and dumped it about 100 yards away, with no damage.

My aunt and uncle were in the basement during this, and they didn't hear anything except the sound of wind.

R

Rob Z

Here's a video that shows well what tornados look like up close. You can see direct hits on some houses.

Tornados do crazy things. Our house was spared in 1979...the tornado hit a house behind us, bounced up and over our house and many others, and then came down and hit directly on a house in the next block, then bounced up and landed 1/4 mile away and did a lot of damage to my high school, then bounced up and hit a gasoline tank storage faciilty and then disappeared.

YouTube - Destroyed in Seconds- Monster Tornado

U

user123

Here's a video that shows well what tornados look like up close. You can see direct hits on some houses.

Tornados do crazy things. Our house was spared in 1979...the tornado hit a house behind us, bounced up and over our house and many others, and then came down and hit directly on a house in the next block, then bounced up and landed 1/4 mile away and did a lot of damage to my high school, then bounced up and hit a gasoline tank storage faciilty and then disappeared.

YouTube - Destroyed in Seconds- Monster Tornado

Jesus... how ever many you see on TV, they are still majorly scary - but as to the map, you can see why I was worried about you, Rob, can't you!!?

Reply to Tornados in the USA :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
US Astronaut Neil Armstrong Dies Aged 82 His family said they were "heartbroken" by his death...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
M
Hi everyone. im going to cut a very long story short to save your sanity. Im 36 have been...
Replies
Views
C
I am in no doubt that our friend Wivers is now flying high! Before a company goes public...
Replies
Views
wivers
W
What's with this war or whatever we're calling it that's going on in Libya? Why are we all of a...
Replies
Views
J
S
Hello, I’m considering a career in tiling and come across this site which I have already found...
2 3
Replies
Views
kirkster
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tornados in the USA :(
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.