Discuss Training in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Trevor Harmer

Is there anyone who can help me?. I'm looking for somewhere to train as a tiler that is not to far from me I live in Chester I have seen a couple of training places in and around Manchester, but I am not sure which to choose
one is £380 the other is £290 fore a four day course? will this reflect on the standard of training given. Second is there a more comprehensive training course where I can get a NVQ locally 3-4 week course perhaps?
I have been in the motor trade for 27 years first as a paint technician then in later life for the last 11 years a Bodyshop and Service Manager, I now wish to do something different and on a practical basis. I have very good practical skills and wish to train with the best possible.
Regards
Trevor.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

if your serious about training as a tiler then do a longer course maybe a 4 week one which will cover more in depth a 4 day course i think is a waste of time.

maybe pts warrington
I dont agree with your comments about four day courses at all m8 and i know that there are loads of guys on here that have done 4 day courses and are making a career from it,but you are entitled to your opinion.

F

frostfree

If you have good practical skills a good quality short course may be the way to go. Strange as it may seem tiling isn't that different to vehicle bodywork. The skills are transferable. Panel gaps versus tile spacing, paint colour matching versus tile shade variations. Preparing a body panel for paint by filling sanding and priming is very similar to preparing a wall or floor for tiles. Paint will not stick or will react with a badly prepared body panel same applies to tiles, adhesives can react with substrates or not stick at all. Mixing paint is very similar to mixing adhesives and grout.

It would seem you may well already have many of the skills you need. Combine these with a good business head and attention to detail you should be onto a winner.
Although being a tiler is far more physically demanding than being a service manager and you have to valet your own vehicle when you spill a bag of grout in the back!!!

T

Trevor Harmer

If you have good practical skills a good quality short course may be the way to go. Strange as it may seem tiling isn't that different to vehicle bodywork. The skills are transferable. Panel gaps versus tile spacing, paint colour matching versus tile shade variations. Preparing a body panel for paint by filling sanding and priming is very similar to preparing a wall or floor for tiles. Paint will not stick or will react with a badly prepared body panel same applies to tiles, adhesives can react with substrates or not stick at all. Mixing paint is very similar to mixing adhesives and grout.

It would seem you may well already have many of the skills you need. Combine these with a good business head and attention to detail you should be onto a winner.
Although being a tiler is far more physically demanding than being a service manager and you have to valet your own vehicle when you spill a bag of grout in the back!!!
Thanks Frostfree. I think your spot on with this especially the valeting! joking aside its good you made this comparison it's not that I haven't thought about this but its excellent to have this sort of response it give me more confidence that I'm making the right choice .
All the best
Trevor

Reply to Training in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Tiling Courses – Learn To Tile 2 Day Tiling Course An introduction to ceramic tiling and...
Replies
Views
Be the Best with BAL! The importance of correct training should never be underestimated. As the...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
R
Hi, just joined so that I can hopefully persuade one or more of you to come and help us teach...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Tiling Courses Virtually all private and commercial properties have tiling in them somewhere, so...
Replies
Views
Hi I am a self employed roof tiler by trade of over 11 years looking to becoming a wall/floor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Training
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.