Discuss Trav bathroom needs ripping out in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just been to see a customers bathroom after the kitchen ceiling came down

Bathroom was tiled badly with travertine, tiled first and then shower tray fitted to tiles directly onto floorboards.

Tiles were fixed directly onto skimmed plasterboard with tubbed addy with 6mm notched trowel. Looks like floor tiles are fixed directly on floorboards and don't have any cracks. More luck than anything.

Anyway, insurance are paying out and I'll have the other bathroom to convert into a wetroom as that one is just as bad.

trav1.jpg trav2.jpg trav3.jpg

If the cowboys keep doing this it will keep me in work :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Well we only took the tiles out of the corner so we had to smash them. One full tile came off but it brought the plasterboard as well, surprisingly.

I know it goes against everything we do but these tiles were stuck fairly well to skimmed board with tubbed addy, All wrong but you can see that once water has penetrated the grout and gaps left then it's all downhill for mould and breaking down the board. I'm sure once we get to start ripping out they will all come off pretty easily

D

Deleted member 9966

John, picture number 2, how badly were the walls behind the plasterboard affected by the water seepage? did it soak through to the other side? or did it just soak down and through the ceiling?

Looks like it's covered the internal timbers with a nice layer of black mould and unless it's the shadows, the opposite side plasterboard looks damp too.

so folks, this is what it looks like underneath, even when you think you've had a job done well.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Trav bathroom needs ripping out in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
W
Hi, I have taken up the tiles in a bathroom floor and underneath seems to be ditra matting...
Replies
Views
Walshy
W
Removed old tiles in a bathroom. New 60x30 porcs to go on. Plaster skim came off with odd...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
S
I recently had a downstairs bedroom extension with en-suite built for my elderly parents as they...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB