Discuss travertine bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

spaced69

Hi guys

this is my 1st experience with travertine :)
i am tiling my upstairs bathroom 1.8m x 1.8m completely. The tiles, adhesive, sealer are being delivered next week. The supplier has assured me that it is ok to fix to new plaster as i recently plastered all walls. And he suggests usin acrylic primer on walls and also suggests using 1/4 marine ply for the floor.

Does this sound ok or any tips welcome.

Thnx Carl

ps on a strict budget as bloody mrs talked me into travertine as oposed to std ceramic

R

Rich

I dont use tub and Im not saying to use tub... Tub is the devil.

I have always primed plasterboard before tiling (with powder as I dont use tub) because I thought it was what mapei recommened but after having a look it says that their powder addys need all gypsum substrates primed, I took that to include plasterboard.

So just to sum up, dont use tub, tub is bad. :smilewinkgrin:

S

spaced69

thnx guys for help

i have bought platerboard adhesive to fix board to block...i will then secure with screws/plugs
the supplier is sending pro flexible adhesive 20k bags
im sure someone mentioned i should prime with acrylic as to prevent moisture....but if you guys say it ok to use adhesive staight on bare board...i can live with that
i also orderd another litre of sealer as i believe they need sealing twice...once after fixing...then again after grout and cleaned
still concerned that 2x 1ltr of sealer doesnt sound enough...but guy said one should suffice

O

oneburge

Stumbled across this thread and coincidentally have been looking to purchase the same deal as in the aforementioned ebay link. Have asked a few questions from the supplier (like the manafacturers of the supplied products) and have found out the following: " The adhesive is made by Palace Chemicals, the grout by Ceresit and the sealer is made by Rubinet". Pretty reasonable manfacturers from what I can research, anyone beg to differ?

I'd be interested to hear from OP as to the quality of the travertine. Ordered a sample so lets see what shows up, as you say, could be anything...

S

Scott

A sample of the travertine wont mean anything unless its from the crate you are buying! I will never buy stone again unless i have seen the crate or a guaranteed sample of a decent size from it first. Having said that with stone like travetine they can send you a lovely piece and the rest of it could be full of filler. You certainly get what you pay for with travertine and i for one wouldnt spend anything less that £25/30 metre. So dont expect too much for your money when buying from the internet.

That of course is just my opinion :)

O

oneburge

Appreciate your opinion Scottley.

And hence the dilemna. I have about 2 weeks to buy wall tiles and am not sure what to go for; my budget is fairly restricted (about £15 per m2) and I need about 20m2 of tiles. I could go for poor - average quality travertine online, or a travertine effect ceramic. However, the ceramics I've seen are fairly obviously just printed, with no real depth to them. Need to get myself to some more tile stores methinks...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB