Discuss Travertine fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

ds1980

Hi all stIll doing the wet room and just about up to tiling. Have 100 mm trav for the floors. We us nicobond gear. Tile shop has given us adhesive but just wondering about distance between tiles. I remember someone saying it should be quite wide. It is unfilled and unhoned travertine. Also what sealer to use and when. I only have a topps tiles nearby will there stuff do and which one should I get. Thanks for help. Ps they are going on top of ufh.

D

ds1980

Ok thanks for that. Were going to do the slc with te tile adhesive. No insulation boards in wet area. Maybe do that bit with slc to create the slope needed to get to my drain. Using flexible thin set adhesive with about 4mm-5mm gaps was my thoughts. Would there be a problem with this? Ta

ps ufh will be on top of insulation boards

pps concrete floor is existing not a new one so no reason to think any movement???

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Ok thanks for that. Were going to do the slc with te tile adhesive. No insulation boards in wet area. Maybe do that bit with slc to create the slope needed to get to my drain. Using flexible thin set adhesive with about 4mm-5mm gaps was my thoughts. Would there be a problem with this? Ta

ps ufh will be on top of insulation boards

pps concrete floor is existing not a new one so no reason to think any movement???[/QUOTE]

but your ufh will heat the adhesive and cause movement to some degree. If you use slc, it completely encapsulates the ufh so that you get no "hot spots" or voids where heat pressure can build up. I use tile adhesive (rapid set) to fix the wire down, using a grout float, this then stops the ufh floating to the top.
It's your call tho'.

D

ds1980

??? Sorry I'm new to this. If you use both where does the slc go. This is what I was thinking. Concrete floor. Tile adhesive to fix the insulation boards. Obviously boards on top. Ufh wire using glue gun. Tile adhesive. Travertine. Can't see where I would use the slc? In wet area. Tile adhesive and trav. Or possibly slc. Not decided yet? P is anyone watching the cycling? Womens sport is so bad!

D

ds1980

OK update on floor. So far so good. Didnt need to get a "professional" did it all myself with a start from the FIL. Probably the easiest floor i've ever laid in fact. Ive only done 4! Tiles were soft but i had none snap or break. Took me quite a while so as far as i can see a professional stone layer would do the job quicker but certainly not any better?

Obviously time will tell but ive been jumping around on them to no ill effect! Looking forward to sealing and grouting but did a couple to start with under the toilet and under some boxing im doing and it was fine.

Thanks for all the help but if any of the pro's want a hand call the amateur!

Ha

oh yeh forgot to mention my trav 20x20 was £3.96 a square metre! Bargain!

Will post pics soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Travertine fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
Heeelp!!! I've seen some old posts about this but nothing recently. I have 120sqm travertine...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine fixing
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.