Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

alig9

TF
london
I posted previously about 18 months ago re the cracks in my Travertine floor. Since that date many of the tiles have additionally developed holes. I have attached pictures of the state of the floor and am looking for advice as to a remedy so that the floor doesn't look like such an eyesore(the holes make it look as if it is dirty). There is water generated under floor heating. Is it worth/possible to have the holes filled? I presume if the floor w
#IMG_20170714_105159.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg
as to be replaced it would be quite expensive to have these tiles removed and is it likely to damage the heating?

T

Tile Shop

If you do replace them and if the pipes are in a screed, very unlikely you will damage any pipework. But if you go for travertine again, make sure you lay an anti-fracture membrane.

Julian's idea would be a good option to fix what cracks there are... providing the red stuff you have painted over to highlight the cracks can be removed and hasn't permanently stained/damaged the stone.

alig9

TF
london
Many thanks for all your advice. When investigating repair online it was suggested that the repairs would look bad as the gloss of the tile would be affected - any advice on this? I'm quite willing to have a go if it has any chance of improvement as I now have nothing to loose
PS I would never recommend/use Travertine again after my experience and reading up about it after my problems occurred.

alig9

TF
london
Done well even with a gloss finish trav tile it will look 100 times better. If your going to have a go yourself can you get a variable speed grinder? If so I'll give you a link to the polishing pads I use.
When pulling filler in holes and cracks clean excess of with a sharp Stanley blade and it should need much if any polishing.
Could you give me the link for the polishing pads please

alig9

TF
london
Apologies for being a pest, but any particular grade that you would recommend
Apologies for being a pest but is there a particular grit you would recommend:
#1=400
#2=800
#3=1500
#4=3000
#5=5000

Reply to Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement