Discuss travertine floor preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bigtoe1966

Hi new here so hi to you all.

We do work for a small but luxury hotel chain. Three years ago a builder completed a loft conversion on one of the hotels, within this loft conversion thre batherooms where installed. All the bathroom floors (and walls) were fitted out with travertine 460 x 460 tiles. Since then to now all the floors are cracking and tiles becoming loose. When you bounce on the floor you can feel it move. Whilst there last week it was discovered that the tiles where fitted directly to the chipboard flooring.

Sorry about the length of background.!

We have been asked (as all the floors our company have laid within the hotel have not cracked) to give a quotation to re-tile the floors. My first thought was tiles up (plus possibly the chipboard) re-floor if required then 18mm marine ply screwed every 150mm . Then the flexible adhesive/grout as normal.

The only problem is the finish hieght would not help walkin from the bedroom into the en-suite with out a 20mm high trip hasard. The pan (which has aconceled cisterns) would have to be raised as would the radiators which are floor mounted.

Is ther another method such as this decoupling membrane PCI Pecilastic®

Your help would be very much appricated. The tiler i allways use is on holiday for two weeks and the hoteler would like this costing back ASAP

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry but a decoupling membrane will not help, chipboard is not a substrate to tile directly on to. I would go for the rip out the chipboard, and replace with 18mm ply ( good quality). Or if you can add extra noggins, to brace the floor, screw the chipboard down, to eliminate any deflection, then glue and screw a tile backer board on top.

The floor must be bounce free, for the backer board to work. Decoupling membranes do nothing to prevent deflection, just lateral movement. Imo:thumbsup:

B

bigtoe1966

Thanks for the advice.

With regard to rip the chipboard out and replace with 18mm ply. Are you suggesting to just fit 18 or 22mm ply direct to the joists or lay new flooring then ply. I have allways laid the ply over a flooring, never direct to joists.

If this is acceptable it would help with the height issue at doors and radiators etc. Although I am sure the floor would still have a "bounce" in it like it has at the moment !

A

Aston

check the size/depth of the joists when you take up the chipboard and check that they have been fixed securely.
loft conversions usually have suspended floors. steel rsj's with the new joists fitted across them. i am pretty sure that will be stable and deflection free but, double check and use noggins at 300mm centres to make them rigid as possible.

i reckon its the chipboard as the lads above said.. sort/replace that and as dave mentioned go for as thick as poss!!!
loft conversions are one of the hottest parts of a building, so there will be lots of expansion and contraction through out the year so its worthing installing a decoupling membrane on to the newly laid ply too imho..

best of luck..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine floor preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
travertine floor preperation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.