Discuss Travertine in a bathroom - preparation in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnfrench10

Hi

I've been looking everywhere for advice about tiling with travertine in a bathroom and the more I read the more confused I get.

I want to put travertine in a bathroom, floor to ceiling on the walls and also on the floor.

My plan for the walls is:
1. Remove the existing plasterboard on the stud walls and replace with a backer board, possibly nomoreply or hardibacker.
2. Fix backer board to the outside wall which is brick and plaster skimmed, the backer board will be screwed to the block and fixed with adhesive
I think I am fairly happy with this approach for the walls.

For the floor I am not so sure. The subfloor is wooden joist with 18 mm chipboard tongue and groove. I want to put travertine tiles with electric underfloor heating in.

I know i have to screw down the chipboard to the joints securely as they currently creak but I am not sure about what to put on top. Do I need 12 mm ply and 12 mm backer board or can I just use backer board screwed down and with adhesive? I don't want the tiles to crack but don't want to raise the level of the floor loads either to get it stiff enough. I am using Mapei flexible adhesive for the tiles from Tile Giant.

Thanks very much.
John

D

DHTiling

Phil

Thanks the quick reply. The existing 18 mm chipboard goes under the walls on each side of the room so not sure how much of this I can remove. If I cut it at the walls the joins won't be on a joist which I want to avoid. If it turns out I can't remove the chipboard, can you suggest a back-up plan?

Thanks

You can cut it back to the walls and then add noggins to strengthen any area's unsupported at the edges..

Pky has more structural strength than chipboard but will need noggings
at approx 300mm intervals.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine in a bathroom - preparation in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm retiling the walls in the pictures which is a shower above a bath - one wall is stripped...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB