Discuss Travertine indoors and out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deano41

Hi, I have a client who is having some flush fitting bifold doors fitted and wants to run the tiles from inside to outside at one level, I have just had the screed laid and will be looking to have the tiler in, in about two weeks, is there any diference to the adddy and grout that I should use for the two areas?

Should the tiles be sealed any differently?

Travatine 900x600x20mm

Thanks in advance.

A

Aston

you might get conflicting answers on this one but imo if the correct prep is performed then its doable.
problem is now, we are getting much much harsher winters so if the trav does get alot of water penetration then it can cause problems in the extreme cold whereas warmer countries dont suffer this problem to our degree.

1. make sure the exterior screed has good drainage/fall facilities
2. id go with a decoupling membrane and id also use a 2 part flexable adhesive to cope with the expansion/contraction during our seasons
3. i personally i like lithofin, so id use lithofin mn stain stop.
4. make sure the exterior is well maintained over the year. clean and re-sealed on a regular basis if you want to maintain its appearance BUT the exterior will have an affect on the colour over time.

theres a lot of other good stone fixers on here so more will definately follow..

ed

D

Deano41

[I would use a de-coupler as you are going through two different temperature areas, choose the mat wisely as we have had some problems recently.QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Are you allowed to point me towards the problem one/s? I was looking at Devi?

Are they both laid at the same time//?
- the outside will probably be laid about a wekk after the inside..

The screed may need more time to cure before fixing
- I have had fast drying screed laid, says ceramic can be laid after 96 hours??? was going to give it a couple of weeks though as it is a fair size (65m2 inside and 25m2 outside) to make sure..

The inside has wet UFH as well if that makes any difference

So would it be best to treat the patio as though it was a normal indoor floor i.e dpm/concrete/screed/decoupler/tile...

Thanks for all the advise, I just want ot make sure that I get this right as it could be a expensive mistake to miss something out!!??

J

jay

- I have had fast drying screed laid, says ceramic can be laid after 96 hours??? was going to give it a couple of weeks though as it is a fair size (65m2 inside and 25m2 outside) to make sure..

The inside has wet UFH as well if that makes any difference

So would it be best to treat the patio as though it was a normal indoor floor i.e dpm/concrete/screed/decoupler/tile...

Thanks for all the advise, I just want ot make sure that I get this right as it could be a expensive mistake to miss something out!!??

think you still might be pushing it a bit but don't know of this fast setting render .You will need to commission the ufh slowly and run it up to temp then let it cool down before tiling

Reply to Travertine indoors and out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
Hi there I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Travertine indoors and out?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.