Discuss Travertine issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi, I've had some tiling done in a new build. I've had Travertine put full height in three bathrooms. I'm very happy with the work that has been done, he recommended a waterproof mat for the shower areas and generally seemed very knowledgeable.

However, due to time constraints I've called in another tiler to tile the Limestone throughout the ground floor. This second tiler looked at the previous guys work and was horrified that the travertine had been put full height! He told me that as the 1st guy had put the travertine over skimmed plasterboard all the tiles will fall off due to weight issues!!

I've spoken with the original tiler and he has explained that as the boards were fixed very solidly it was safe to do. He explained some technical detail about 20kgs for plastered walls and 32kgs for plasterboarded walls. He then explained that he had weighed the travertine and calculated the adhesives etc as weighing 27kgs. Although this was heavier than he would have liked, he had assessed the overall build quality and with this in mind he was happy to install as it was between the two weight limits.

The trouble is, now I'm very worried. Has the 1st tiler misled me and done something dangerous or is the 2nd guy just being dramatic and trying to secure the remaining work?

Please advise, Kay

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Kay

Your second tiler was right to bring it to your attention that the full height trav installation over plaster skimmed walls could have taken your plaster skim and the boards behind over their weight limit. The 20kg and 32kg figures are correct, but you have to bear in mind that these figures are on a square meter basis. So you need to speak with your first tiler and find out exactly what weighed 27kg. Was it Tile + Adhesive but only per tile, or did he estimate the weight over 1 square meter would come out at 27kg.

Heavy tiles on plaster skimmed walls can be of great concern, particularly if the tiles higher up pull the wall down. Many tilers will not tile over the acceptable weights especially if children could be using the bathrooms.

Please also find out from the original tiler what adhesives and grouts he used to fix the travertine to the walls. Your original tiler should have drawn your attention to the weight issues before he started working. It should have been your choice to decide whether the weight is acceptable.

I have a new build property that is now 7 years old and I would not trust the build quality of it at all. In fact when I re-tiled my en-suite bathroom, I installed all new plasterboard in the shower cubicle where tiles would be going up to full height. Your original tiler would have been better to point out the weight issues from the start and advise to reboard with regular plasterboard or a suitable cement board before tiling full height with travertine.

Sorry, this isn't perhaps the answer you were looking for. Also, if you register on the forum, you'll be able to post your replies without Moderators having to approve them.

Thanks
GRR

U

Unregistered

I've spoken to the original tiler and he says the weight of the tile plus adhesive and grout was 27kg per sq metre. The boards were screwed at 300mm intervals. He primed with Mapei Primer G and used Mapei ProFlex adhesive, the grout was Mapei Ultracolour Beige and the sealer was LTP Mattstone and the tiles are 600 x 400mm

I originally asked him to tile half height around the bathroom. Once the 1st room was done and the second room was well underway I had a change of mind and asked him to carry the tiling on up to the ceiling. He had to removed the cut tiles from the shower area and replace them with full tiles etc. I remember when he removed them that he had to reboard a section of wall because the plasterboard had been damaged by the removal. He told me that he had mentioned the weight issue which is why he had weighed the tiles originally. I cannot remember as this was back at the begining of December.

He assures me that the tiles are safe and that he would not have put them up if it wasn't safe. He thinks the 2nd tiler is just trying to alarm me.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

The replaced sections were not plastered, once he had replaced them he continued tiling.

I remember that when he was tiling he sometimes stopped and carried out some preparation work in the other rooms to allow the adhesives to dry before going any higher.

The original tiler has told me that if I have any concerns he will happily come back and rectify any work should it be needed. He has given me his card and assures me his reputation is far too important to risk shoddy work.

The guidelines are exactly that, guide lines. There has to be a working tolerance +/- to these figures.

The second tiler was right to mention it but the first tiler has used good quality products and is aware of the guide lines so he has made a judgement call based on his experience. I assume he is offering you a guarantee?

This is a good point, the guidelines are there for a reason but they don't automatically replace experience. Has the 2nd tiler pointed out any movement? Any cracks in the joints or grout? Is there any physical sign of problems?

D

doug boardley

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

The replaced sections were not plastered, once he had replaced them he continued tiling.

I remember that when he was tiling he sometimes stopped and carried out some preparation work in the other rooms to allow the adhesives to dry before going any higher.

The original tiler has told me that if I have any concerns he will happily come back and rectify any work should it be needed. He has given me his card and assures me his reputation is far too important to risk shoddy work.
So if the travertine is on unplastered walls, it will be fine

S

sstocky

I had a similar discussion with one of the tech people at Bal earlier. I am looking at full height travertine and having read this post yesterday i did ask specifically, i was advised that as long as the substrata was solid then it would be fine.
Not sure that helps with the other expert help you have recieved but thought id mention it.
(And since i spoke to them, better half has changed her tact on the tiles she wants!!! lol)

Reply to Travertine issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine issue
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.