Discuss Travertine issues... guidance needed :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, I haven't posted for a while but I'm in need of some fellow professional advice..

I'm currently on a job for a family with Italian connections. They are having 600x400 Travertine on all the walls in their bathrooms. The walls are sound, weight limits checked etc etc.

There have been a couple of issues with the tiles being slightly different thickness etc and they are exceptionally demanding. They have the usual idea that travertine will look like marble once its finished, but I think we are through that one now.

The bit I need advice on now though is this:

They have asked me today to tile the next bathroom (55m) without any grout joints at all. They want me to fix with addy as normal, but instead of a grout joint they want me to butt the tiles together with just a bead of silicone between the joints. Their idea is that the weight of the tile will squeeze almost all the silicone out leaving a solid travertine wall. I've tried to explain this is not good for lots of reasons, but they keep telling me that "in Italy they do this..... or in Italy they do that...." Does anyone know where I can get some printable info that will explain in very simple terms why this should not happen?

Your help, as usual, is much appreciated as I'm rapidly running out of patience :mad2:

P

Pebbs

I have the same problem as Sean, an Italian client who wants 1mm joints, over a 350m2 floor, the stone is going to be running +/-3mm, so the 1mm joint is not going to work, see below the response from the builder. I dont want them sending their own men over from Italy to do the floor, so Im biting the bullet and giving them what they want...what a pain in the butt, this ones going to be.

Stewart / Lynn

I’m pretty sure that, with the client being Italian and focused on the stone that they would prefer to see a 1mm joint. What is the cost uplift for water cut precision?

Other points noted but I feel we have to leave this door open otherwise they might chose to go with their own.

richard

Reply to Travertine issues... guidance needed :( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Essex

Thread Information

Title
Travertine issues... guidance needed :(
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.