Discuss travertine splitting on floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

shep

Hi. I have been called back to two jobs i done about two years ago where the travertine has split on the floor. Both jobs have a hairline split in two adjacent tiles with the split running through. Both jobs are on sound timber floors with 12 mm hardibacker and palace flexi rapid set spread with 12 mm notched trowel. Stainblocked of course and look stunning. Any ideas why these splits are happening? One tiler told me once, you should never bring tiles in from a freezing cold van and lay them in a warm house in case of thermal shock. Putting me off laying them on floors. No probs on walls.
X

As far as the Tiler who told you about the 'thermal shock' is right on that point. You should really sit the tiles and adhesive in situ (in the room there are going to be used) for at least 24-48 hours if possible just so they can acclimatise.

Is there a possibility the wood has some minor defection when stood on?
There is a possibility the wood substrate could have moved due to a list of different reason.. (Deflection, general warming and cooling, no expansion gaps)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine splitting on floors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Heeelp!!! I've seen some old posts about this but nothing recently. I have 120sqm travertine...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hi, This is for a bathroom (including a bath). I have a buildup of timber joists / 22mm ply /...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB