Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Travertine Stairs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked to tile a bathroom floor in a 2 size modular trav (honed and filled, not sure if edges are pillowed or rectified). The bathroom has a step up to the bath. So the foot traffic is not so high. What I am most concerned about is preventing slipping, and the uppermost expansion joint.

Could anyone direct me to some example pic's of steps in natural stone, just so I can get some ideas to inspire me? I'm thinking a non-slip trim maybe advisable, but I'm wondering about other options if the customer isn't up for that. They're logic being - I've paid allllll that money for the stone, I don't want to cover the edge with metal.

I already searched and know about trav being soft stone, hamster's eating the edge's (chipping) if not protected, and risk of chipping if cutting in grooves, for water to drain away. Are they the only solutions?

What do you think about mitering the edges? Surely that is a no-no, or can you fill a mitred edge with silicone to allow for expansion and contraction?

Thanks as always for any advice given. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks again Marbleman :thumbsup:

From what I recall of the conversation, I think it is just 1 small step up, so maybe built up with 3" or 4" wooden beams and layered in somekind of wood or floorboards. So maybe 3 to 4 inches in total.

Plenty low enough for a strip?

Luckily, he's having his house re-furbed and re-wired, plus new bathroom suite too. So he can get either the builder or plumbers to prep the floor first in 22mm WBP. So hopefully, I'll just have to check squareness, firmness, deflection and it's all screwed down properly.

He said it will all be done by Friday and plastered when I go to do my survey. I already warned him about drying times of new plaster, and he says he hasn't got that long!! :mad2: At most he will leave it a week and a half :mad2: I told him if that's what he want's, potentially, not to come crying to me if the walls and tiles start to crack later.

I hope that is the best advice to give!!

Thanks again MM :thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

The best adhesive for this is Bal Vari set.
It is a controllable set time adhesive. The set time is controlled by adding a retarding agent which slows down the set time according to room temperature.
Without the additive it sets very quickly. Approx 6 mins pot life, then fully set 6 to ten mins afterwards. Great for steps,quick repair jobs, tiling in a kitchen or bathroom where appliances need to be put back quickly.
Quite dear,but worth the money in certain applications. I never use with additive, but use when I need the tiles to set very quickly.

Ah...you just jogged my memory banks.

A friend of mine used to work for a company that manufactured those kinds of worktops and I think they are local too....I'll call him tomorrow...check if he left on good terms and see if I can get it organised.

Would make me look good if I can offer that to him, just off the top of my head and give a price per tile :lol: Nice tip for a newbie :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

Just been doing reasearch on travetine stone grading and he said he paid £24 per sq m. Not sure of the quality of stone he's gonna get, but he said it was a local supplier, so hope it's a trusted/good one. At least I know to make sure I speak with him about this and hopefully inspect some when I'm there.

:lol::lol: Don't worry I won't, but I will advise him accordingly & thanks again.

If he does go for the bullnose option, I will make sure he picks the best tiles to take to the factory, ie. with good unfilled edge's.

Just thinking about other possibilities - Is the dewalt table saw any good at doing these kind of cut's? I guess the cut edges would need polishing up, but it may not look to good if the tile edges are pillowed/tumbled in the first place. If the tiles are rectified, filled honed & polished it may 'fit in' better with the look?

I'm thinking if you placed say a 12mm thick tile on the table at -6mm, and then angle the blade to 45 degrees it would take roughly half the edge off? Has anyone here tried that?

I'm wondering how soon I should invest in one of these saws - I used one on the course and it went through all the stone like butter :drool5:. The edges were so neat with no chipping, and I really liked it. My judgement would be based on how versatile the saw is. I'll put a search in and maybe ask a question in the tools section later. :thumbsup:

There is a alot of desire to have stone in the area where i am based, so I would like to get the proper tools asap to ensure I can do the work to a high standard.

Got another result :hurray: Won the job. My first full b.room in travertine - most I have done before is a shower enclosure. This has got alot of tricky cuts on it, so I'll be gritting my teeth and smiling all the way through!!

The step in the bathroom is just boxing in above the stairs, not a step upto the bath.
This should be a good one for setting out practice, will post you some pics in due course. Start it on 2nd Aug.

And they're going for the trim I suggested too. Thanks again for the advice...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Reply to Travertine Stairs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine Stairs
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.