Discuss Travertine tiles - how to repolish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

snb375

Hi - we just installed some polished travertine tiles which were finished to a high gloss. Topps tiles gave us grout cleaner to use with them which has taken the polish off and left a white residue or has bleached all of the tiles. They assured us it was suitable for travertine but i don't think it was meant for polished tiles. Can anyone recommend a fix for this and how we should go about re-polishing? Also does this sound like the colour is damaged for good?

THanks.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi,

I take it you didn't test it out on a scrap tile or hidden bit of flooring then?! - For future reference, always do that.

As for getting the polish back, checkout LTP Online.

Though I'll let the lads advise on which actual product to use, I don't tile anymore and always get a bit worried about advising the wrong stuff.

Most the lads will be still working now but I'm sure when they get in you'll get a bunch of replies.

In the meantime if you can upload a couple of pictures to the forum that'd help them out a lot I think. You do that by clicking "go advanced" in the thread, and then add attachments (a bit down the page). Or if you have some uploaded somewhere already that you can link to, simply click this little button in the quick-reply box...
insertimage.png

Y

YourTiler

"Topps gave/sold you grout cleaner"........ Sorry but why would they sell you that product with new tiles?? Why would you want grout cleaner?? I know there are loads of products out there but unless I'm missing something really obvious then they've mis-sold you (MMMM sound familiar?)
Isn't it for cleaning grout that's been discoloured over time?
I'd go back and tell them, try to get something off them. Seems like their ****-up to me

F

Floor_Restorer

Hello,

We can put the finish back on to Travertine. As Enduro says, we use either a polishing powder or Diamond pads to replace the finish.

Unfortunately, you are not the first and certainly not the last to have done this. Other causes of loss of finish, or splosh marks on a travertine, limestone or marble surface are from using a strong acidic cleaner (such as a grout stain remover), Cillit Bang or Viacal, spills of sparkling white wines, lemon juice, tomato juice, tomato ketchup... anything acidic basically!

To get a consisitent finish we always repolish a whole area, not just where the marks are if they are quite bad.

Let me know if you need help or advice,

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to Travertine tiles - how to repolish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine tiles - how to repolish
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.