Discuss Tricky problem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

So I am helping out a builder on a prestige house in Central London, long and short of it is that there has been 2 different tilers working there tiling 2 bathrooms and a 17 sqm kitchen floor, the bathrooms were generally tiled okay but the finished seemed slightly rushed and the builder asked us to do the final bathroom in the basement of the house along with fitting the underfloor heating and tidy up the bathrooms done by the other tilers, he also asked us to change 3 1200x1200 porcelain floor tiles on the kitchen floor which were cracked.
We have tidied up the bathrooms and done the prep work in the basement which included grinding off about 30sqm of carpet glue left behind by the vinyl tiles which were fitted on the basement floor and we began removing the kitchen floor tiles , the kitchen floor has been fitted on blue xps insulation board sold to the client by an online uf heating company a heat mat was then fitted then the tiles were installed directly over the cables
on lifting the tile the adhesive under the tile is damp and there is water on the back of the porcelain , the tiles are bedded at about 70 % coverage but not dot and dabbed , trowel applied but not back buttered! further investigation is showing water under the the insulation board! at first we suspected a broken or damaged pipe / fitting but now know there is no damp course membrane under the concrete floor
I want to give the builder and customer the correct advice on what to do as there is a 60,000 pound kitchen installed on the floor tile and don't want to mislead or misinform them , my gut feeling is the moisture is ground moisture coming up through the slab and the floor should have been left breathable and the tiles and the polystyrene insulation is stoping the moisture from being ventilated but I can't be sure it's not a broken pipe due to the fact there were vinyl floors In place before and not problems arose, there is a blocked drain which the rain water goes to from the gutter which may or may not be adding the the problem what are you thoughts ?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tricky problem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB