Discuss trim on mosaics ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

hi , just wondering wot you lot do regarding fitting a tile trim with mosaics ? iam only doing a splash back and customer wants a gap between the top of her kitchen units and the tiles. Oviously i would normally finish the top of the tile with a trim if i was fitting normal size ceramics , but not sure with mosaics as the bit of the trim that slots behind the mosaic is around the same size as one of the mosaics if you no wot i mean ! so wouldnt get much of a bond. just thought id get your opinion as i havent done many mosaics :thumbsup:

I

Ian

S7300393.jpg S7300369.jpg These are stainless steel topped with porcelain backs, and chrome trim. Had to put the trim on first and feather the back of the trim with addy to stop it pushing the 1st row of mosaics proud. Very tedious job!

Attachments

• S7300422.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 105
I

Ian

did you need to cut any of the mosaic for this or were they set out pretty well on the sheet?

Did pillars need any much prep or were they pretty square etc

They were built by the joiner using 18mm ply so that the mosaics fitted perfectly, only thing I had to worry about was spacing them from floor to ceiling, easy to lose or gain a bit over 2.8m.

Edit; sorry misunderstood. They were ok on the sheets, still had to lay them out dry on the floor first. Some had fallen off the sheets and had to be put in individually! The hardest bit was lining one sheet up with the next.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

When I did my bathroom with mosaics I used the alloy trim from CTD. It was a struggle but I simply used a thicker bed of mosaic fix.

I have to say I like the idea of a skim of rapid set to bring the moseics out level though.

A good tip that was passed to me and worked was to interlock the mosaic sheets by cutting out alternate mosaics from mating sheets so that they mated together. If the odd piece falls out, stick it back in when the rest of the sheet is on the wall. That loses the obvious join from one sheet to the next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to trim on mosaics ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
trim on mosaics ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.