Discuss TUMBLED TRAVERNE WITH HUGE HOLES...Advice Please... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garyc

Hi all, im new here and at the moment could really do with some unbiased advice as to whether these tiles should be sent back to the supplier. Ive just taken delivery of 24m2 tumbled Noce travertine, 75% of it has huge holes in it, a lot of them are big enough to fit golf balls thru!

!!! They were sold via the internet (I should perhaps have listened to some previous postings) but these were sold as Premium Tiles. To me they dont seem Premium, there are also huge chunks missing off edges and large fossil deposits. Some pics attached, is this right??

007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garyc

Alan, im really after an idea of what you would normally expect from a tumbled travertine tile, I dont want to look a fool by complaining to the supplier if its normal for tumbled travertine to be supplied like this. As for the look, rustic is fine but having to fill huge holes doesnt seem normal to me, this is why I have come to the forum for unbiased help from you guys who know much more than I do.

B

Bolter

Alan, im really after an idea of what you would normally expect from a tumbled travertine tile, I dont want to look a fool by complaining to the supplier if its normal for tumbled travertine to be supplied like this. As for the look, rustic is fine but having to fill huge holes doesnt seem normal to me, this is why I have come to the forum for unbiased help from you guys who know much more than I do.

As Alan meant, sometimes unfilled trav comes with a few little holes and veins and fossils. The ones in your picture are abnormal, and you should get them replaced or ask for a refund.

P

PHG Dave

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear its under these circumstances.

As you are probably aware all travertine has holes in its raw state but part of the quality grading of the stone is to do with the size and quantity of the holes. Anything that has through holes anywhere near the sizes shown in your pictures should be classed as commercial grade, certainly not Premium!

It certainly sounds like your supplier has misrepresented the material but without knowing the price were you expecting 'premium' quality stone at commercial grade prices?

D

DHTiling

Price paid was £25 (inc vat) m2 which is cheap I know, but not I can only go by what I was told on the phone by the firm that the quality was premium, I specifically asked as these Commercial grade and was told they were not. This forum is great, I appreciate the comments. Where is best to go for tumbled travertine?

IMO.. PHG stone impoter... Perfect Home & Garden - Introduction

T

Time's Ran Out

I had this 'discussion' with my client in a tile showroom a month ago. All tiles on display were marked as 1st grade and yet when I asked to see a sample from stock it looked like they had been collected over a couple of years from different parts of the quarry and packed into a .7sq mt pack. They were being sold for £23/mt and my client was adamant he was going to be able to choose only the pieces he wanted and send the rest back :lol:.
In the end he asked me to visit the supplier in St Albans and they had 50sq mts of a good blend of Opus chipped edge on the darker side which he then went to see and ordered. He was upset when they charged him £42-00/mt but you pay for a bit of quality - if you know what to expect.
If you don't you have to rely on seeing the actual tile in stock before you spend your money OR use a quality stone supplier like PHG and as a sponsor of this forum will only provide top quality products.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to TUMBLED TRAVERNE WITH HUGE HOLES...Advice Please... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
K
Please help - I know nothing about paving/tiling....!! We have just had some sandstone paving...
Replies
Views
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
H
hi im sorry if im posting this but i need some advice as every source i read on the internet...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all, This is my first post and as you will see I am not a tiler and have little knowledge...
Replies
Views
The D
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
TUMBLED TRAVERNE WITH HUGE HOLES...Advice Please...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.