UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH - Does this look right? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brownjoe

Hi All
Firstly thanks for all the info / help and interest in this - didn't imagine the forum could be this helpful.
I don't have any other pictures unfortunately - but here's all the other info i have.

To put it in context - i've had the dining room and lounge knocked through and added a conservatory - there is underfloor heating in all three areas - and not one of the areas works properly - each area is a separate zone with a separate thermostat - the biggest area is no more than 3.5sq metres (the area in the picture relates to the dining room).

The heating does not extend under the units, and the builder who laid the floor also did the tiling.

I believe the chip board you see in the picture is the only floor surface - i.e. it is not laid on top of another floor surface - that is, it's laid on top of the floor boards. But i can't be certain of this.

I have access to the basement below the floor and can feel the ceiling is as warm as the tiles above.

I don't think the problem is with the thermostat regulator turning the temp off at 22 degrees as I'm pretty sure i have over ridden that. Also, in the conservatory the thermostat gets to about 24degrees but the tiles are actually cooler than in the dining room / kitchen.

i has underfloor heating fitted in my bathroom about two years ago (different builder) and i recall they put some sort of foil down first - which i guess insulated the floor. But obviously nothing like this was used this time.

An electritian did check all the zones were working properly and their is power to the system and the tiles do heat up a bit when switched on. But basically it has to be on full power constantly just to take the chill of the tiles.

The electritian did speak to the manufacturer - the manufacturers response was that it must be the insulation (lack of) for it to be happening not once but three times. Would welcome any further help / suggestions / possibl solutions.

thanks all
Joe

The system used is a Raychem wire UFH unit.

J

jay

Thanks for the information,your problem could be a number of things ,just a couple of questions if you don't mind .size and wattage of heating mats used in areas .was the thermostat installed in condute .and was there any heating cables laid over the thermostat ,this will help to try and find the problem in regards to the temp ,

on another note chipboard is not a good surface to tile to and is a bit of a concern

thanks

B

brownjoe

Hi Guys
Firstly i did send an emails to the guys at Raychem - and they've been very responsive and helpful - but naturally they haven't actually seen what the process of installation was so they can simply advise on what should have happened. They did point out that the overhangs on the picture aren't ideal and that the cable spacing is all important - really reitterating what many of you have said. They also pointed out that the ideal surface for the system - which they think is their Cerapro system - shoud have been laid on insulation boards given the age of my house.

I will get a independent expert to come and test the system and update the forum with the outcome. I'm hoping I don't have to take up three floors to get this working - but not really seeing any alternative at this stage.

We live and learn.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some threads in the underfloor heating forum. You can now find and search for both electric underfloor heating and water underfloor heating threads. By the way, if you feel some of the threads you want to be seen at the top of the forum need to be bumped back, for the next month or so from now, feel free to do that. Although it's not usually something we allow, whilst we're going through this process of changing over forum software, we see the need for this to happen.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH - Does this look right? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.