UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH on concrete floor - advice on screed etc please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lady

Hi!
This is a great forum, have been reading this a while. Could someone point me to right direction - I am putting down UFH in kitchen, small loo and utility room app. 15m2 altogether. Have removed the horrible plastic tiles and ALL of the HORRIBLE black stuff and now have just the concrete base but this is not even. The differences are max 3mm. Now the question: Do I need to prime or screed the floor before putting to UFH mat and self levelling compound? If yes, could I use the self levelling compound which I have extra or do I need to buy yet another product :smilewinkgrin: ?

T

Time's Ran Out

If you are only talking 3mm then this will be taken out with the levelling compound when you fix the mat.
Have you considered an insulation membrane first to make the UFH mat more cost effective. I'd certainly use a primer in accordance with the levelling compound manufactures information. The SLC should be a fibre enhanced type for the heating mat which could be up to 200w per metre output. What you should be aware of is none of the heat mat companies that I use recommend taking a single mat across doorways and you may have to consider 3 separate units. (For installation you must have the final connection by a Part P registered Electrician.)

L

lady

Thank you John. Really useful advice. I will use primer - hadn't thought about that but makes sense. The SLC is says to use Palace Tilers Primer and I rang a tile shop where bought the SLC, they advised to use acrylic primer (they don't sell PTP) so don't now know what to buy now. Will any acrylic primer do? Any recommendations? Interesting about the recommendation not to take a single mat across different rooms, I wonder if that is because the risk that people will screw down thresholds etc. I am tiling all rooms with same tiles and won't put down thresholds so can't see this being a problem. The SLC only says suitable to most types of UFH. Hope that is fine..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH on concrete floor - advice on screed etc please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.