Guest viewing is limited

Discuss UFH sensor question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jashton

In the UFH guide it says to run the sensor in conduit so that it can be replaced. I can see the sense in that so I've done that but am now wondering what to do when I tile. Surely the sensor needs to be bedded in adhesive, just under the tiles so that it picks up a correct temperature? When I laid my SLC I shuttered off a small area around the sensor other wise it would have been bedded in SLC and non-removable.
So what do I do next. If I don't bed in addy then it will under-read. if I bed in it won't be removable.
One possible option is to wrap tin foil around the head so it can be bedded in but would then slip out of the foil if I do ever need to replace (unlikely I imagine).
Any tips/ideas?
Thx

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

The conduit should be put in a channel in the floor and self levelled over. The sensor can be inserted afterwards.
Conduit, if not supplied with kit,can be bought in 2.5 metre lengths, it is usually 10mm in diameter.
It is designed for use with under floor heating

Attachments

• conduit.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
T

trevortine

This is a preferred method of mine also but when i challenged the warm up rep about why they dont supply conduit i was informed that they insist on the probe being covered in screed or adhesive to ensure correct readings. It does make sense but would obviously mean lifting a tile to replace if faulty. After many years of fitting them ive never had to change a probe so maybe they have a point? I always tend to fit probe at easy location to change just incase though.

T

Time's Ran Out

good idea TJ:thumbsup: Will do that myself in future:8:

Had a floor at Christmas that was warm but the thermostat was reading 12 degrees!
First time 'we' (little john) didn't tape the thermostat end cable and yes the electrician had pulled the cable tight and moved it 30cm out of position.
So you learn the hard way and it meant taking up 2 tiles to pull it back, but if you mark the location of the sensor on a plan in the guarantee book it makes life easier!
From what I understand from the electric UFH we have done - mats have a 10 year guarantee and the sensor 2 years - so that should give you all the reasons you need to make it as easy as possible to replace.

T

trevortine

i dont think the manufature garantees the probe for the same time as the heat mats/wire. Thats why i think it needs to be removable. there must be a chance it can fail. If its buried in addy there's a chance you can break all the wires aswell.
I always screed ufh and have never damaged a mat or probe during installation. You really need to be doing something wrong to do so. Anything can fail but if you install exactly as manufacters instructions then you are covering your back.

Reply to UFH sensor question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
H
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but very much hoping you can help with a problem I've got.. We had...
Replies
Views
S
Hi I've bought a pack of UFH from uheat as recommended on here. I have taken up the old floor...
Replies
Views
Uheat - Keith
U

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
UFH sensor question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.