UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH - Thermanet - marble tiles onto ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

bathroom_floor_tiling_01.jpg bathroom_floor_tiling_02.jpg bathroom_floor_tiling_03.jpg
Hi everyone - I've boarded out the walls and fitted the shower tray and bath.
I'm keen to get the floor tiled now and was wondering what the best way was.

I've got 12mm pale marble tiles to go down.

The substrate is 18mm t&g flooring ply (I'm planning on fixing it down a bit better as I had to lift sections for pipe work - planning on adding extra noggins where I can and filling any gaps with ply shims and polyurethane glue).

I've bought some Thermanet UFH - it's 150W matting.

So the question is - how should I prepare the floor and add the UFH ready for tiling?

I have been using Marmox for the walls.

Should I add a layer of Marmox over the ply? If so what glue is good and should I screw down with board washers? Is 6mm board ok?

I have Ditra matt left over from the kitchen floor - enough for the bathroom.

I have Ardex x77W for the final marble tile lay.

Is this a good idea ? : ply -> glue/screw -> 6mm Marmox -> ufh glued down -> slc -> ditra -> x77w -> marble

Thanks,
Ed

E

edwardk

Thanks for all the info and advice - much appreciated.

So walls first...
Do you laser level a line around the room at waist height then tile the walls down to the substrate leaving a 10mm gap and then when you do the floor tile up to the wall leaving a 5mm gap?
(I have plastered the walls halfway down from the ceiling)

I'm just keen to get the UFH in so the electrician can finish off and I thought I could do the floor first but it's probably better practice to do the walls first then floor.

So for the floor is this good:

13 - lithofin sealant x 4 coats
12 - grout
11 - marble tile - (finished floor surface)
10 - Ardex x77w (back butter tiles - 6mm trowel)
9 - ditra mat
8 - any quick setting tile adhesive to stick the ditra down - 6mm trowel?
7 - slc
6 - tape or glue down UFH - (tape or polyurethane Gorilla glue ?)
5 - UFH - (Thermanet 150w)
4 - screws and washers through marmox
3 - Marmox 6mm boards
2 - glue down marmox (any tile adhesive ? I think I have some fast setting Ardex grey stuff left over - will any cement based tile addy do ?)
1 - ply prep ??? do I need to add Ardex P51 to the ply before sticking down the Marmox or anything like that?
0 - ply substrate

Main questions:
A - should I tile walls first then floor?
B - what is a good adhesive for sticking 6mm Marmox down?
C - Anything else I've missed that might catch me out ?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rookery

I'm not familiar with some of those products but in general I would:
Fix marmox with rapid set flexible adhesive and screws/washers. My preference Mapei Keraquick, 6mm notch trowel
UFH matt/cable held down with gaffer tape.
Flexible SLC. My preference Webber Floorflex.
Fix Ditra with Rapid Set. My preference Mapei Rapid Set, 4mm notch trowel
Fix tiles with rapid set flexible adhesive. My preference Mapei Keraquick, 10mm/13mm notch trowel and back skim each tile too.
Personally, I would tile the floor first.

You say that you've plastered the walls halfway down fron the ceiling. Are you planning to tile these areas with the 12mm marble. If so they are likely to be about 50% over the BS weight limit for plastered walls.

E

edwardk

@Rookery - thanks - no, I'm just tiling halfway up the wall for most of the room and then maybe topping off with a chair rail - the top of the wall will remain plastered.
The rest of the full wall height areas are Marmox 12mm board and I was going to use a slightly thinner limestone on them so should be ok.

So the dilemma:
Should I :
A : ply -> ditra -> UFH/SLC -> Marble on the floor
B : ply -> marmox -> UFH/SLC -> Ditra -> Marble on the floor

Which is better ? Am happy to go and swap materials - am doing this myself for my own house so not fussed on the cost as I'll be doing the labour and want a solid job that will last a loooong time :)
Ed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH - Thermanet - marble tiles onto ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.