UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFHS temp not getting above 22 degrees in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smong2408

Hi All

We've recently renovated our kitchen and installed an electric UFHS as follows;

The room is well insulated and even when icy outside the concrete floor was surprisingly warm.

Approx 20sqm concrete floor that was tiled with 6mm insulation mats. Two 10sqm 150w mats were then laid and covered with latex. The floor was then tiled with 600x600 porcelains tiles. Both mats were connected to a controller with floor & air sensors.

This is my first experience of UFHS and I may be expecting too much but the floor will only get Luke warm at best and according to the floor sensor will not go above 22 degrees.
I contacted the manufacturer to get their advice and they suggested setting the controller to floor sensor only and setting the temp to 28 degrees to see what happens. After 4hrs of being on constantly the probe read 22.5 degrees. However, the air sensor read 27 degrees but the tiles themselves were still only Luke warm.

Does this sound normal?

The UFHS was installed by a tiler recommended by the manufacturer so I'm confident the probe was installed correctly but I'm a bit worried as the system was installed as the primary heat source and if the tiles are not getting as hit as they should then I could end up with it running constantly and at 3kw my bills will be massive.

The supplier of the heat mats has been helpful but they are unable to explain the issue and has suggested that it could be the position of the sensor, a faulty sensor, or a faulty controller, but to my thinking if the sensor was showing too low a temp wouldn't that cause the files to get hotter, when they are just slightly warm.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Simon G

U

Uheat - Keith

I think the supplier is about right by saying floor sensor may be too close to a heating element.
The end probe needs to be between two runs of element, approx 40mm from each, but of course you can not see that, as it is now under the compound.
If possible, try to pull the floor sensor lead back a bit in the wall, this may change the position of the floor sensor and not switch the control off too soon.

What thickness of compound was used? We always say 10mm maximum ( 1cm ) with our 160w/m2 systems.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Your body temperature is 37.5degrees. Your hand and feet will usually be a couple of degrees lower. The maximum surface temperature for a heated floor should not exceed 27 degrees so when you put your hand on it the surface at best will only ever feel tepid or lukewarm as it will be cooler than your hand. If it is to hot all sorts of nasties can start to happen including cracked an delaminated tiles to thrombosis......

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFHS temp not getting above 22 degrees in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This is about a Victorian conversion property I am buying. I agreed purchase on condition that I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a traditional 1960 house, I am adding an extension and I am paying a professional to...
Replies
Views
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc. But i can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
P
So, I'm doing my own floor, and for the first time I'm putting wire underfloor heating over...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.