Discuss Uh oh he's a plumber!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kyle87

Hi everyone!!

I'm hoping I can get a warm.......ish welcome here. I'm a plumber and can't get away from tiling so I'm here to pick up tips from those who know the ins and outs of sticking bits of pottery to walls ;)

im not trying to steal jobs from tilers, I have actually been telling my customers to get a tiler in but they insist they want one man to do the entire job on a bathroom install.

If I can answer any plumbing questions then feel free to ask.

K

Kyle87

Yea that's the kind of things I like to hear. I've explained to my customers that I am not a tiler. It will take me longer than a tiler but I won't charge for the extra day or two because of my inexperience. I'm definitely a meticulous worker. Sometimes spend too long making things look right. Gets a bit sad when I take my time making pipework look great then I put the floorboards back over it.

Welcome,

if the customers don't want to find a Tiler - why don't you??
Have you not crossed paths with any tilers on any jobs so far?
Find a good local guy, hopefully someone good and trustworthy, and you can both bounce work off each other.
You can concentrate on the plumbing, manage the job, make a cut from the tiling, and there's less pressure for you..
That way everyone's happy??

K

Kyle87

Welcome,

if the customers don't want to find a Tiler - why don't you??
Have you not crossed paths with any tilers on any jobs so far?
Find a good local guy, hopefully someone good and trustworthy, and you can both bounce work off each other.
You can concentrate on the plumbing, manage the job, make a cut from the tiling, and there's less pressure for you..
That way everyone's happy??

Unfortunately the tilers I've crossed paths with so far have either let the customers down or not been worth what they paid.

This is no reflection on tilers in general, just the couple I've come across.

I definitely hope to find someone I can work with but only through recommendation. I plan to do the same when I find a decent sparky

D

DHTiling

Unfortunately the tilers I've crossed paths with so far have either let the customers down or not been worth what they paid.

This is no reflection on tilers in general, just the couple I've come across.

I definitely hope to find someone I can work with but only through recommendation. I plan to do the same when I find a decent sparky

You have arrived at your chosen place for a great tiler.

A plumber took a job off me last week so I'm a grand down now.maybe it's karma getting back at me for taking all the toilets and sinks out.

I've refitted that many bathrooms with my plumber (I advertised the whole service, he laboured for me and I him for 6 years.) I can do it all myself but I don't do it all myself as I find things flow better getting the right trade in for the job. Speed is paramount on the first fix so that I can take as long as need to leave the finish immaculate.

D

DHTiling

Now let's not waste any bullets !
Any plumber who is brave enough to come on here give his life story and want to learn how to tile correctly, must be of the strength of character to ensure that the job is completed to a very high standard - but then again I've been in the sun all day so I'am not all here tonight!
:welcome:

Are you here most times anyway. :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Now let's not waste any bullets !
Any plumber who is brave enough to come on here give his life story and want to learn how to tile correctly, must be of the strength of character to ensure that the job is completed to a very high standard - but then again I've been in the sun all day so I'am not all here tonight!
:welcome:

Sunstroke or caffeine overdose - I know what my money's on :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome Kyle87

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
most plumbers tiling iv'e seen has been laughable, good to see your trying to do it right, but imo you would be better off teaming up with a good tiler, I know you say you hav'nt found one yet, but he's out there, I went through 3 plumbers before I found a decent one, and we have been working together for over 10 years now.....try putting the feelers out on the forum, you never know..:thumbsup:

K

Kyle87

most plumbers tiling iv'e seen has been laughable, good to see your trying to do it right, but imo you would be better off teaming up with a good tiler, I know you say you hav'nt found one yet, but he's out there, I went through 3 plumbers before I found a decent one, and we have been working together for over 10 years now.....try putting the feelers out on the forum, you never know..:thumbsup:

And likewise the plumbing I see done by other trades and diyers in unforgivable. But like you said I am here to try and do it right. I have respect for other trades and wouldn't claim that I will ever be as good as a pro tiler and the same can be said when it comes to plumbing. People think they can be a plumber because they spent time watching a man click speed fit together on YouTube.

The next high end bathroom I get I will definitely be asking round this forum for a good tiler. I'm in Leicester by the way.

Thanks for the welcome guys,
Appreciate it!!

K

Kyle87

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369642838.354011.jpg
This is my first tiling attempt. The tiler walked off the job after doing the floor so I was left to pick up the pieces and help the customer out.

Go on, rip it the pieces lol

K

Kyle87

how can a plumber be a tiler,beats me,not wanting to sound nasty but when will customers realise that they must be paying more in the long run,plumbers should stick to plumbing imo:incazzato:

I've told a couple of customers that but they have insisted they want one man to do the job and I have a family to feed so not turning work down.

I never claimed to be a tiler and never will. I'm just here to pick up tips on doing it right.

Reply to Uh oh he's a plumber!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB