Discuss Uh oh he's a plumber!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattle40

Welcome Kyle
I'm in the opposite situation, a tiler learning to plumb & gas. I've dropped my wage massively to re-train and run my own business on the side when I can fit things in.
I cnt understand why ur getting a bit of a hard time, when it comes to the crunch wouldn't we all like to have more strings on our bow?
I'm sure ur a decent tiler that just probably lacks the finess of a pro but the attitude seems right to me.
IMO you only have to WANT to do a good job and you will be well on your way.
Hope you aren't put off.
This place is a fountain of knowledge.

M

mattle40

Going good actually, only been with the new lads 3 months but done my fair share of pipe work in that time, I'm enjoying it actually, I treat pipe work with the same respect I do my tiling it has to be neat and set out correct etc
Its very convenient to be able to plumb a bathroom with a tilers brain as I can first fix as I go

A boiler i put in last week ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369666025.116546.jpg

D

DHTiling

Going good actually, only been with the new lads 3 months but done my fair share of pipe work in that time, I'm enjoying it actually, I treat pipe work with the same respect I do my tiling it has to be neat and set out correct etc
Its very convenient to be able to plumb a bathroom with a tilers brain as I can first fix as I go

A boiler i put in last week View attachment 52130

Not bad for a first attempt .. practice makes perfect :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
The advantage of a tiler going to pipework is the fact that he already has the trained eye for angles and lines, whereas the plumber......well it's under a floorboard and no-one can see it....

I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule and looking at how Kyle has portrayed himself he has a conscience when it comes to the customer. He should do well if he listens and learns, there's plenty to take in and this is the best place for information and help :thumbsup:

Headline_pic.jpg

That's for you TJ

View attachment 52129
This is my first tiling attempt. The tiler walked off the job after doing the floor so I was left to pick up the pieces and help the customer out.

Go on, rip it the pieces lol

Welcome to the forum.
Tiling looks fine,
The only thing i would pick you up for is the pipes out of the floor. (pet hate of mine)
You haven't done any thing wrong, I just think towel rails look better when piped up out of the wall.
Like your self i'm a plumber by trade but struggled to find decent tilers to work along side with.
I'm not saying there aren't any.
You will find a vast wealth of knowledge on this site, by experienced tilers who give up there time freely to help others.
Being a member of other plumbing and electrical forums i cannot say the same.

The advantage of a tiler going to pipework is the fact that he already has the trained eye for angles and lines, whereas the plumber......well it's under a floorboard and no-one can see it....

I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule and looking at how Kyle has portrayed himself he has a conscience when it comes to the customer. He should do well if he listens and learns, there's plenty to take in and this is the best place for information and help :thumbsup:

View attachment 52131

That's for you TJ

It will never work.
Flow and rtn pipe legs are crossed.
Also no isolation.
Recommend it be moved to name and shame thread.:lol:

That's soldered chrome pipe coming out the wall. Spent ages filing the chrome off to get a good soldered joint. Nothing bu solder for me in inaccessible areas!!

Sorry Mate i didn't mean that snap on chrome pipe tube plastic rubbish.
I also use chrome pipe but use these chrome covers to hide where the pipe comes through the tile
Well done for soldering chrome plated copper,
I just file them up and use john guest fittings with a fitted retainer ring
42.jpg 6a.jpg Bathroom Wetroom Nov 09-49.jpg DSC00871.jpg IMG_7082.jpg IMG_1511.jpg

how can a plumber be a tiler,beats me,not wanting to sound nasty but when will customers realise that they must be paying more in the long run,plumbers should stick to plumbing imo:incazzato:

On that note, A tiler shouldn't TOUCH plumbing..

- - - Updated - - -

Hello & :welcome: Kyle

K

Kyle87

Lets be honest. We're all gonna dabble in other trades but we also know where our bread is buttered and focus mainly on our own trade.
These forums are great to learn how to do things properly.

As a plumber I'm not going to get a chippy in to replace floorboards. I'm not going to get a bricky and a plasterer in to patch up a hole after I've moved a toilet.

On the same note I wouldn't expect a call from a tiler asking me to disconnect a toilet/basin for a few days.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Uh oh he's a plumber!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB