UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Under floor tile/linolium heating in wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

david f

Hi. Novice here. Need to know what needs to be water-sealed as it's an old house. I went to a DIY store today to get some idea of what the work involves/costs. Need to repair dampness caused by leaking underfloor pipe in cellar- damaged area includes base of wetroom wall(other side from wetroom), the floor of the wetroom (which already has underfloor water heating) , plus the hallway floor (adjacent to the wet room). Altogether counting the length of the wetroom and the hallway is 8 metres and about 2 meters wide.

So the insurance will pay 70% of the water damage and replace like for like. I have linoleum on all cellar floors - but am considering spending some extra cash to get electric underfloor heating to cover whole area. I see that i can use tiles, linolium or laminate to cover. Laminate would be simplest as Insurance will pay for it and laying it. I would need to get the electric cables done before it is laid.

So here's the question. The person in the DIY said that i would need to get the walls in the hallway covered in some water resistand solution. Also in the shower room I'd need to take all the tiles off and do the water sealing there too (this hasn't been done previously afaik).I also have to have the floor in wetroom dug up as a floor drain needs replacing and an underfloor pipe from the washing machine to the wetroom floor drain passes through the existing underfloor water heating system. So that means also breaking that existing underfloor heating in order fix the pipe/drain and put in electric heating cables.

All this seems a big job. I didn't realise that all the walls need to be waterproofed and the joints where the tiles/lineolium meet the wall.

I was also told that the insulation sheets are very expensive - more than the heating cable package including thermostat.

Has anyone any ideas about all this. I was new to the game of laying electric underfloor heating before today. Biilders are either stupid, feel it doesnt concern them as this is not covered by the insurance (as i would foot these additional costs myself, or they are just not letting on how much is involved- as none has said anything about water proofing walls and all areas as part of the laying underfloor heating.

Anyone ever heard of a brand called tycothermal. I'm actually living in Finland and the store I'm using is Bauhaus(a German DIY). So it may not be familiar in the UK. Been here a while and will be selling this after I get this cellar fixed. Pity some of you guys were't a bit closer.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Under floor tile/linolium heating in wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.