UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Under my tiles... (UFH, Hardibacker, Ply?) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DanMarch

Hi,

A little help if I may, I'm tiling my bathroom floor soon and whilst I've tiled before, this is my first floor-tiling and the first time I've used underfloor heating.

It's a second floor bathroom with wood floorboards, my understanding from reading around is this is the right way to get a good, stable, crack-free finish.

1) Ply on floorboards
2) Hardibacker on top
3) Heating wire taped to hardibacker
4) Flexible adhesive
5) Tiles + Flexible grout

Is that right? Or do I need an insulation layer there? I've no problem raising the floor height by adding an extra layer - the ceilings are high, I need some extra height to avoid having to put the loo on a plinth and a stubbed toe wakes people up in the morning ;)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

You are almost right. The ply would be used as a replacement for the floor boards (22/25mm). Glue and screw the backer boards, then the heating, at this point you need to cover the heating wire before tiling with a self levelling compound. Then as you say flex adhesive and grout. If you are using a stone tile also consider a decoupling mat (this goes inbetween the SLC and tile) this will help if any lateral movement occurs.

D

DanMarch

Gents, thanks for detailed replies, overlap and all!

A couple of quick questions then. Do I have to replace the floorboards with ply or can I just lay the ply right over the top? I assume you normally replace the floorboards to avoid raising the floor and shrinking the room but I need to do that anyway or is there a structural reason for it?

I understand that as I'm laying on wood I'll need flexible adhesive and grout to allow for any minor movement in the building, I assume the same goes for the SLC. I've been selecting Bal products so far given good reviews in places like this, but they don't seem to have an SLC with "flex" in the title:

BAL Adhesives - BAL Levellers

Do they not do one? Can you recommend someone who does? Or am I wrong about needing "flex" for the SLC, in which case which Bal product would you go with here?

Oh, and if anyone's interested I was going to go with Superflex Wide Joint for the grout and Paid Set Flexible for the adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

D

DanMarch

Bri, again thanks - you're advice is great.

One last question, if it wasn't a cost issue is there a Bal product you would use here? (You're quite right about the price, but I've found some OK prices online, and getting them all delivered together will save on some postage!)

If anyone else stumbles across this from Google, I finally went for:

1) Ply screwed to floorboards
2) Hardibacker glued & screwed on top
3) Insulation glued & screwed on top
4) Heating wire taped to insulation
5) SLC
6) Flexible adhesive
7) Tiles + Flexible grout

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Under my tiles... (UFH, Hardibacker, Ply?) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Tiling an18 mm ply floor with wet ufh under ply any recommendations thx
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.