Discuss Update.....cancelled job......visited house in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

sorry that it has been a couple of days since my original post but i decided to leave it a couple of days before calling round to see customer. So this afternoon i called round on the pretence of looking for my long level which i needed and believed i had left there.

imagine my surprise to find some-one else tiling their home . Well i say tiling......seemed to be struggling more than anything.

when i asked the customer why they had decided to employ another tiler's services and not mine the owner of the house took me outside and explained that they hadn't employed another tiler but had given the job to the son of a friend who had lost his job and offered to do the job for less money, he had convinced them that tiling was not difficult as he had tiled both his bathroom and kitchen floor himself, and they were basically throwing money away by paying me.

So in the end i didnt find my long level(in lock up) and i wished them luck but didnt point out the lippage i had felt while walking on the set tiles nor was it correct to place 5 dobs of adhesive on tiles and press down. personally i think its best for them to find these problems on their own, so it didn't look like sour grapes.

oh i didnt mention anything about all the materials that i supplied at discount basically because legally i dont think they had done anything wrong and i had not lost any money on them.

chris

G

Gazzer

You are a better man than me Chris because I would have pointed all the faults out and quoted british standards, used words such as "cowboy no it alls" and handed a invoice for the real cost of the tiles.
Personally I think you have been mugged, they get cheap materials , so save money then a monkey to do the tiling and save.....the very least they should have done was offer something for your time. I hope the job turns out a mess and they hate it so much that they cry themselves to sleep every night.

C

CJ CERAMICS

thank you for all your support. i do understand their reasoning behind their decision, they are after all trying to help some one they know who needs the money and for this i would actually applaud them, but of coarse by doing so they have reversed the situation where it is I who now have need of money at this time of year the saddest thing from a professional and personal point of view is that they are going to ruin imo what was to be a stunning finish to their home.
chris

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

I have to admit Chris , I did feel the teensy weeny bit of sympathy for the guy taking on a marble job without experiance but that was fleeting and only lasted a nano second, it was more of a " I wouldnt like to be in his shoes when the marble cracks"

I can sort of understand where they are coming from but my head would of ruled my wallet, its a big layout to trust to someone inexperianced, my bro in law moved house last week . it was tiled badly from the front door on, lovely house but they couldnt sell it, his offer was accepted. more than enough below market value to retile in the summer plus the cost of a new conservatory which his builder started monday. hes quids in because they got a crap tiler in. when will people learn LOL

Reply to Update.....cancelled job......visited house in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi all. My daughter had a tiling job done in her kitchen while she was away last week. I stayed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm sorry its another bad job or not thread. We've been having our downstairs toilet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Update.....cancelled job......visited house
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.