Discuss Update on Saad in Cairo in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

HI all :)

Update on Saad and family - Howard and I both spoke to the boys yesterday, Saad is outside together with all the other neighbourhood men guarding their properties basically with sticks and iron bars in their hands as there were some attempted and other robberies.

It all does sound very scary, but knowing teh streets very well there I am smewaht reassured, if the neighbours continue to stick together it will be very difficult for anyone to cause too much trouble, the streets where Saad lives are short and narrow and not easy to enter against determined resistance - and Saad's address is somewhere in the middle rather than at either end of it, so forgetting for a moment the volatile situation and local temperament and that they happen to be the only Christians in the street, things do look hopeful.
Supply of food will be a problem before long, so let's hope that some resolution will happen before that scenario could quicly change the mood of things ... Saad's son Shady and I had a giggle that now might not be the right time to organise a mosaic course in Alexandria!
I really hate the thought of Saad having to stand out there with an iron bar in his hand, but he is a sensible man not into heroics, so all we can do is just hope and pray for them all and send good vibes - I will keep you posted with news as I get them.

U

user123

What is Saads opinion to whats happening out there

Mark :) , I only managed to talk to him three days ago, the last two days I spoke with the boys only as Saad is outside in the street, but when I did talk to him none of them believed that Mubarak would really go - they have had thirty years of such an unbelievably corrupt regime, it seemed too much to hope for. But according to the German news tonight this seems more likely now, and Egypt TV was announcing that there would be a statement from Mubarak within the next half hour, so they were wondering if this could really be it. Fingers crossed eh, El Baradein is the one everyone hopes for, an intelligent highly sensible and moderate man, I have followed interviews with him a little, so he really would be good news. Also to have the military on the side of the people is amazing. Saad's main concern is for the safety of his family, like everyone else's would be in this situation, and just hopes that it will all be ok soon and that he can earn some money before long!

U

user123

Thanks G for the updates, people power and I hope the army stay true to their words.
Mr Mu would need to do the decent thing and clear off, such an intriguing country and city too.
My wife always said she would love to visit, I'm the one who is wary of it.
Fair play to the people and the best of Irish luck to them.

It is an amazing place to visit, I understand your wife very well, as I do your justified weariness. Tourists are made so welcome, as they help people survive there who have had it so tough for decades that they have developped incredible selling and people and making money and survival skills, so they are masters in ripping people off or trying to earn a living from handing you the loopaper as you enter some public toilet somewhere, anything to survive, no social services but plenty of entrepreneurial spirit, hard working in every little area of life, offering the most amazing ironing or cosmetic service, or 'help' park your car, almost funny really, canny people. There is something very attractive about this almost childlike optimism about this approach, but the temperaments are pretty unrestrained and the mood can change quickly. Alcohol is not allowed in the main, so you don't get the drunken hooligans scenario we have here, big bonus, so there is good and bad. I fell in love with the place, I'd hate to live there, but you can't help but be charmed by a very genuine spirit of survival, the place has a type of carnival athmosphere, buzzing somehow.

Reply to Update on Saad in Cairo in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
We've switched to a newer higher spec server recently and it's caused some issues as we...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, new here so hope you can bear with me. Have already read loads of posts that partly...
Replies
Views
tennisnut
T
C
Hello Everyone! First off, let me thank everyone for all the wonderful knowledge and more...
Replies
Views
cyberk
C
M
So I was doing a Google search for something or other, the history of wetrooms I think it was...
Replies
Views
Gall.B
G

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Update on Saad in Cairo
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.