Discuss Very Smooth Cement Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dajoca

Hi. I'm tiling the four walls in my bathroom.

It was previously tiled half way up and where I removed those, the old plaster(?) underneath was like soft pumice, so I hacked it off and re plastered, primed with SBR and tiled the lower half of the room using Mapei cement based adhesive.

The top half of the room is a good condition and very smooth cement finish.
I've scored the surface slightly, but can't imagine that the cement based addy is going to grip at all.

Do I need to key this surface and is there an adhesive that will provide good grip on to a very smooth cement surface?

Cheers

D

Dajoca

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I had a tub of Evo stick superior strength to hand, so I did a test on some waste tile.
A dab of adhesive, pressed on to a smooth area and left overnight.
The result was a very firmly stuck tile and applying enough force to remove it, tore a hole in the substrate.
So even though I have a patch to repair, I don't have to worry about poor adhesion.

Cheers.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Very Smooth Cement Substrate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. In process of having bathroom improved (shower installation over bath) and i will...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB