Discuss Victorian floor tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gunnerno1

hi, thanks everyone for there kind relpies....i think when i wrote the post originally i was huffin and puffin because i had seen the job for the first time after coming back from working way during the week....i had imagained the floor in a certain way, which i had explained to the tiler before the start of the job ...but what i actually got was something slightly different...(for example i wanted the boarder to go around the bottom of the stair case to follow the shape of the stair case, like the one in the Original Styles brouchure...what i got was a rectangle that went around the stair case, not the level of detail i wanted....) had the tiler informed me that he could not do what i wanted, explaining the reason then my expectations would not have been as high and i would not have been so cross and i would not have wrote the post!!....

all in all i think the job was good and clean, but i was just upset it was not what i was expecting.

sorry if i have wasted anyones time...just show that i should be there to see the job while its being done!

T

Time's Ran Out

It is the little details that you have just described that 'make' a job and without total customer satisfaction the finished result is undoubtably disappointing.
Having said that the picture you have quoted in the brochure is not without 'faults'.
You have not wasted anyones time in this post as hopefully your floor is to be there for many years so it should be to a very high standard.
Enjoy!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

TJ has said it all really, is the stair detail like this?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 47
G

gunnerno1

hi, yes, the finish is like the one in the pic...

i dont want to sound showing off/big headed or anything but the staircase in my house is a bit larger than the one in the pic, so there was scope to go around it in more detail (i thought).

What i got was like the picture you attached above, which is a good job, but not what i was expecting or wanted...

is the picture above the normal practise?? if so then i think i need to apologise to my tiler!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Like this maybe? I always try to give the customer a choice on set out border etc. If you look at Tenchman's work you will see he is a purist, and likes to stick to the original Victorian methods, and it shows his skills and devotion to his craft, but in new installations it is possible to use a little artistic license.

You will see from my pic and the one in the brochure (Original Style) the border does not always work in practice, maybe your tiler was trying to make the best of what he had to work with. As above pics would help:thumbsup:

Attachments

• ar1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 47

Reply to Victorian floor tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Victorian floor tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.