Discuss Victorian floor tiles lifting in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

O

originalfeature

How thick is the ply and is it adequately fixed down so there is absolutely no flexing? The timber floor the ply is fixed to should be checked and improved before the ply is fixed and the ply screwed (not nailed) down at a maximum of 100mm centres. If the substrate (i.e. the floor and the ply) is insufficiently stiff, flexing will loosen the tiles. A grey cement based floor tile adhesive must be used – you can buy some that are described as “flexible” or use an additive on standard adhesives, that will allow for a small amount of movement. Special primers can also be used on the ply to maximise adhesion, but that doesn’t sound like a problem here. If the ply is flexing to any great extent, I’m afraid the tiles will come loose whatever adhesive you use.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Victorian floor tiles lifting in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
I have problem and would like some help or advice. We have a victorian home in Saint John NB...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
So we had our bathroom replaced with a wetroom around 6 years ago and where the water hits the...
Replies
Views
Hello, am trying to complete a Victorian tiled hallway (pic attached), loads of questions to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB