Guest viewing is limited

Discuss vynal layer stole my job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
got a call today from a customer that i had a bathroom booked in to do .

turns out the vynal guy went out to quote the floor and offered to do the tiling and fit the vynal for the same price i charged.

fair enough i think its up to him, im not bitter.

just hope the guy totally ***** it all up, donst use any of the right matterials, and all his expensive new tiles fall of and put a nice big hole in his bath.

rant over i feel better now, would't normally care about this but got hardly any work on at the moment and i seem to be getting under cut left right and center at present.

and b4 you ask i wasnt that dear on the price 13m2 priced £250 inc addy, grout, trims.

it really is dog eat dog down our way :thumbsdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

Firstly, I don't like to hear of any pro tilers struggling to win work, and I hope things pick up for you soon Andy. Is it possibly because of the holiday season that you are finding things quiet?

My mate is a vinyl floor and carpet layer and he earns a boat load more than me per day, so I'm amazed that a vinyl layer is prepared to go lower than your already aggressive price; I can only assume that all trades local to you are finding it tough at the moment.

Good luck mate and concentrate on selling your knowledge and skills when pricing jobs up. I've been told that I have won a lot of work because the customer felt that I had the ability to deliver the best quality; I'm never the cheapest!

T

Time's Ran Out

I know how you feel mate I lost out on a 20m2 kitchen floor and 6m2 walls job this week, was well undercut by a handyman :yikes:

The worst thing is this job was for one of my good friends :mad2:

I now read this as the work was for someone that used to be a friend.
According to a top contact in the building industry its started to slow down again (that's before I heard it again on the news!)

U

united

I now read this as the work was for someone that used to be a friend.
According to a top contact in the building industry its started to slow down again (that's before I heard it again on the news!)

Still friends but it's a long story so I won't bore everyone with it.

I read a few reports on some building and architect websites today which were basically saying a double dip recession is going to hit soon :yikes:

Reply to vynal layer stole my job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Is this tiling job acceptable? I had 2 bathrooms replaced in my house and have had problems...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Relatively new to this game and hoping for a bit of guidance on pricing. Am quoting...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Andy Allen

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Gloucester

Thread Information

Title
vynal layer stole my job!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.