Guest viewing is limited

Discuss vynal layer stole my job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I know how you feel mate I lost out on a 20m2 kitchen floor and 6m2 walls job this week, was well undercut by a handyman :yikes:

The worst thing is this job was for one of my good friends :mad2:
handyman dont you just love um.

got one round our way under cutting everyone, found out from one of my suppliers he was selling insurence this time last year, he cant have been very good at it as he considers earning £50/£60 a day good money.

wonder if i can sneak out and change the writing on his van to hangman :smilewinkgrin:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
typical!
the vinyl floor guy( i agree, hope he screws it up) isn't pricing it up as a tiler but as a bonus:thumbsdown:
this is what we are up against and the new guys who unfortunately think there low prices are better than there previous jobs(no offence to them).:mad2:
your spot on there mate.

im allso up against builders and plumbers who would normally pass work on to me so they could move on to there next job, problem is there is no next job for them so they do it them selfs.

lost count of the amount of times i hear them in the tile shops asking the staff how do you do this and how do you do that, what trowel do i use, what adhesive do i need, how do i cut them. :ban:

C

curlycan

Isn't it amazing how this profesion is a very skilled profesion but everybody seems to think they can just slap on a bit of addy ,chuck up the tiles and then grout. Just because they may have seen a pro do it before and thought thats easy I could make more money doing that simple job. As we all know it's not just about putting tiles on the wall most of the work is making sure we have the right materials for the job not just going to b&q and buying unibond adyy and grout all in one to stick up porcelain tiles.:mad2:
I've done quotes where i've explained to the customer what needs doing and they can't beleive what info we need and what needs doing before the tiles need going on the walls. Thankfully this info I provide more often than not has got me the job. So my advice would be let your experience and know how out to the customer and things may change especially when the tiles fall off and wreck their bath, unfotunatley not much you can do about the price other people will do it for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to vynal layer stole my job! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Is this tiling job acceptable? I had 2 bathrooms replaced in my house and have had problems...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Relatively new to this game and hoping for a bit of guidance on pricing. Am quoting...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Andy Allen

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Gloucester

Thread Information

Title
vynal layer stole my job!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.